Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you test for reading level?

Posted by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

With my DD recent doc visit and now testing for ADHD several have asked how reading is going. Well I dont test it (not fond of test, but do all other subjects). We just read ALOT. She reads little level 1 readers. They are now too easy. I read one way to test reading level is take an average of the books she reads well. But does anyone have an easier way? I dont like 1 site that said to read a story and answer questions. Any other ideas?? I would personally really really like to know, it could help with book choices too.

by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

When my DD started readingeggs.com it had a quiz to find out her reading age & it seamed pretty accurate.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Thanks, I'd like to know where my dd is just for fun :)

Quoting usmom3:

When my DD started readingeggs.com it had a quiz to find out her reading age & it seamed pretty accurate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The following article has some links for helping you test your child, and it also has grade level requirements. 

How To Home School (you need to scroll down towards the bottom of the article)

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I like readingeggs also

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Quoting usmom3:

I'll have to check that out... thanks for the site!

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
My daughter loves readingeggs.com! It has made reading fun for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Sorry,  I have never done that with any of mine.    Don't guess I ever thought about it. lol 

melissaDH
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Both of my parents are retired teachers. The advice they gave me when checking to see if a book was too hard for a child is this:  If they miss 5 words on a given page, then the book is too difficult. 

You can find books that are listed on grade level on state websites, just as a reference. Then use one on your child's grade level as a marker to see if he/she is below, on target, or reading above grade level.

melissaDH
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I will have to try this...thank you for the info.

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN