Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ugh!! I am so so frustrated... need to vent...

Posted by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

i am so frustrated right now.. i know its not some huge ordeal, but it still frustrates me.. I am homeschooling my youngest son he is 7yrs and we are very laid back nothing real formal am leaning towards unschooling.. he does do a reading program online and reads bob books.. and some math worksheets and such, but not everyday.. i try to work with him in his reading with everyday things.. like trying to get him to sound out words on things we are doing together, words i know  he know or can at least sound the sounds out.. but every time i ask him to read anything (sound it out) he huffs and puffs and whines and just won't do it.. i get so frustrated because i know he can, but he won't even try thats the frustrating part.. that he won't even try!!  he is that way with most things.. it drives me nuts

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, boys... Mario, 19yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
5BMom
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Perhaps the lean towards unschooling is not a style that works for him. My DS needs structure to learn and thrive...while my DD would be a perfect homeschool candidate. You may need to buckle down with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylon
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM

My two boys (7 and 6 yo) were the same way when I pushed and drilled them about certain things and found they would get mad.  I don't push them anymore.  I encourage and if they aren't interested I leave it alone.  I find what they are interested in and run with ideas for fun learning with that subject.. that way they are learning and we are all happy.  My boys love the Vtech Vreader.     We have been working on attitudes and behaviour lately.  Sometimes an attitude adjustment helps. :) 

buzymom93
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

we did do real structured for some time..  we got up, dressed, started school... i used an eclectic approach and picked an chose curriculum that we both liked.. and it was soooo bad.. a lot of stress, yelling and frustration to get the work done.. one thing he did enjoy was explode the code books but outside of getting him to do a few worksheets, he was done..  so we may just do some worksheets and his online reading program for now.. not sure.. its still frustrating.. when he does the online program, he likes it, but sometimes he just goes thru it real quick to get it done, not cariing if he gets it right or not.. that frustrates me... he does have some special needs too.. anxiety disorder, regulatory disorder and adhd!! ...

Quoting 5BMom:

Perhaps the lean towards unschooling is not a style that works for him. My DS needs structure to learn and thrive...while my DD would be a perfect homeschool candidate. You may need to buckle down with him.

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, boys... Mario, 19yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

buzymom93
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

for my 7yr old he is just such a perfectionist and has anxiety too that if the thinks he will mess up he doesn't even want to try..  i try really hard to encourage him..

its so hard to "know" what he actually knows cause he doesn't share.. you can ask him and ask him and then some other day down the road you will hear him..   when he was 3yrs old all of a sudden one day i heard him singing the abc song and i didn't even know he knew it;; lol   also one day he wanted some skittles and so i was giving him some and heard him the background counting them as i handed them to him and made it all the way to 10, this was when he was just 3yrs old.. so sometimes its hard for me to know what to teach him cause he may already know/get it..  lol

Quoting Kaylon:

My two boys (7 and 6 yo) were the same way when I pushed and drilled them about certain things and found they would get mad.  I don't push them anymore.  I encourage and if they aren't interested I leave it alone.  I find what they are interested in and run with ideas for fun learning with that subject.. that way they are learning and we are all happy.  My boys love the Vtech Vreader.     We have been working on attitudes and behaviour lately.  Sometimes an attitude adjustment helps. :) 

Kaylon
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Oh wow..  sounds like my youngest...for sure.   I would drill him about counting to 50 til I was blue in the face and he would just shut down.  One day I was cooking and heard him on in our front living room table with pennies counting to 50.   It was his idea and I was just happy to hear him do it!  Can you say...stubborn and strong-willed (just a little bit!).    Does he have anything he is really interested in?  My 7yo loves legos and star wars.  He also wants to be a baker.  So I told him in order to be a baker we must learn to read, spell, write, and know math.  He is all for it now..! :)   We learn through legos and star wars too.   Maybe ask him if he has an idea of what he wants to be when he "grows up"?   

Quoting buzymom93:

for my 7yr old he is just such a perfectionist and has anxiety too that if the thinks he will mess up he doesn't even want to try..  i try really hard to encourage him..

its so hard to "know" what he actually knows cause he doesn't share.. you can ask him and ask him and then some other day down the road you will hear him..   when he was 3yrs old all of a sudden one day i heard him singing the abc song and i didn't even know he knew it;; lol   also one day he wanted some skittles and so i was giving him some and heard him the background counting them as i handed them to him and made it all the way to 10, this was when he was just 3yrs old.. so sometimes its hard for me to know what to teach him cause he may already know/get it..  lol

Quoting Kaylon:

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are all grown, but I still tutor in home. This video explains what is usually the cause of what you describe.

Pamelachi
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

He sounds like my sister.  (I'm 12 years older and helped teach her to read)  She is a HUGE perfectionist and wouldn't read to people, so I made up hand puppet characters.  There was a llama that would help her sound out words - had some kind of accent to make it fun - and an illiterate duck that liked to "eat" everything on the page (the only word she knew was "yum!").  That way when my sister would get frusterated, the duck would jump in and make her laugh and then the llama would show the duck how to read the problem word.  Not sure it would work for everyone, but that is how I landed the job of having my little sister read to me until she gained enough confidence to read to others.  She wouldn't read to anyone but the llama and duck because she was afraid of messing up.

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Quoting buzymom93:

Quoting Kaylon:

My 9 year old is a bit like this, so I can kinda understand- the only thing that helped him at all was talking about how mistakes are how we learn and it's ok- it might even be a good idea to talk about some mistakes that were made that turned out to be brilliant inventions (post it notes, I think are one)- if the core of the issue is that perfectionist nature, try to combat that rather then fighting about the reading or other things.  I know it's frustrating!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)