Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you teach every subject everyday?

Posted by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm new to homeschooling and was wondering how others approach teaching. My daughter is in 1st grade.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(Sarah Robinson). Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Yes... but she does much of her work independently at this age (10).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM

hi roysmommy, i teach all subjects each day,

when the kids were younger(4,5, 5 or so) we focused on phonics/reading, nature study ,bible, handwriting  and math till  around 7 or 8 then i added the rest of the subjects

wright1212
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Nope. We had a 'makeover' on our subjects since things weren't working out. So we both together decided.. reading everyday, writing daily, math daily. Then through out the week science, social studies, lots of spanish, thats about it. Some little stuff like piano, cursive, ect.

roxysmommy
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm finding trying to fit everything into one day a little overwhelming at times. Some days it's no problem. We do make it a point to do reading, writing and math daily though.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM

My son is in 1st grade.  We do reading/language arts, spelling and math every day.  Science, logic, history, art, etc we don't do every day.  Somedays are better then others and we get a bunch done and other days we're lucky to get 1 subject done.  I've learned to go with the flow.  Good luck!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM
We did 7 subjects a day, switching some out for others. Like science we do m/w, nature Friday, art Tuesday, music Thursday, etc. so we do more than 7 subjects total, but ony 7 per day. Does that make sense?
It ended up being a but much for us, so we did end up cutting back. Honestly though, if I hadn't gotten pregnant we probably still would be doing 7 subjects a day.
Each subject lasts around 15-20 minutes, longer for math, art, and nature.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Generally mine do every subject every day but they don't have to. I give them an assignment sheet on Monday and require everything to be done by noon on Friday. Sometimes we might spend a half day doing the full week of one subject...depends on what they want.

Today we had an impromptu Geography lesson....we took turrns finding countries on the World map and globe. Someone would pick some tiny country and the other two would try to see who could find it first. They alternated using the large wall map an the globe. So tomorrow, they will skip their maps & globes time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)