Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many hours or minutes do you do school with a second grader?

by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Replies (11-12):
mslamom2
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I am just starting home schooling my kids and trying to figure this stuff out. That is why I looked up the required hours. My cousin home schools here in Montana and only makes her kids do school for 2 or 3 hours. I was homeschooled and we started at about 8 and ended at about 2 or 3, with an hour break for lunch and outside play time. I think what you are doing is fine because so many hours are wasted at public school from what I hear. Plus you are doing it year round and so much of her learning is coming from other things in 2nd grade.

Not you it seems, but many home schoolers think they can just let their kids do what they want since they do school at home.I think it is good to structure the kids day and make sure that as much or more is required of them then public schoolers.  But I think 2 hours (what my cousin does) is definitely not enough. There is a reason that home schoolers have a reputation of being so smart and it takes work.

I think I am going to do 3 to 4 hours in grades 1 to 3 then some outside academic/sports/fun activities.

:)

mslamom2
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh and we have been doing Sonlight but I don't like all of their materials. I think I am going to do ABeka like my parents did with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)