Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im not ready to teach this...

So my parents mother, being the overbearing, know it all, typical you're doing everything wrong grandmother that she is seems to think that i should give ds "the talk". Here is what happened.... ds (5) and i were in the car headed home from my dr appt and he says to me "mother! you really need to tell the baby fairy, I need a baby brother! I cant be the only child forever mommy, and if the baby fairy can put a baby in your belly then the doctors can open the door and take him out after you bake him for a while, then i wont be the only child anymore".... I quite personally thought this was funny so i called the forementioned psycho and let her know....well according to her that means that its time to give my son "the talk". I told her no that is my 5 year old being 5, and he didnt ask about where babies come from or anything so he isnt curious....it turned into a huge arugment and now i need your opinions.....

Do you think that is his way of asking about where babies come from? (he knows they come out of mommy's body, he has seen c-sections on tv shows) he just doesnt know how they get there and has never asked.

Do you think I should have "the talk" with him? If so how?

Ds knows about the difference in genders, and has never asked questions about it because we're not modest in my house, I cant remember the last time i got a shower in peace, or was able to go to the restroom with him barging in to have a talk or tell me "its raining its pouring mommy is peeing" lol....any advice on how to get a shower in peace would be nice too lol. .

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Replies (11-14):
pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I dont trust her as far as I could throw her, which isnt far but my dad knows ds is not to be allowed alone with her and if it is its just for max 5mins at a time. She was made full aware of the fact if she were to tell ds anything about this subject or any other subject i've deemed my job we will walk away and never come back.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I think it's fine. He using his imagination and probably little information he has heard or "figured out" to tell you he needs a sibling. I don't think the talk is necessary just yet unless you want it to be.

HOWEVER, do you trust your mother to not tell him if she's alone with him since she seems pretty adament that he know? If not, you should either tell him before she can inform him in a way differently from what you would like, or be wary of leaving him with grandma for awhile.

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

The lock on my bathroom door doesnt work and I have this huge fear of places with only 1 way out, my bathroom doesnt have a window so i couldnt lock the door even if i wanted lol.

That is my kind of drink lol.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I shower and pee in peace by putting on a cartoon or mocie and locking the doors. If they come, let them scream and pound. After a time or two they don't bug me.

That said, no I would not go into detail with Ds at this point. As you said, he's eing 5 and really doesnt care how babies get there. LOL I think it's cute!

I would have my pepsi (and maybe a shot of tequila) then call mom and tell her to MYOB! I'd also find a friend to call - or come post- when Ds says something cute from now on! LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I would wait on the talk until he starts to ask questions!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

ds thinks babies come out via a door in mommys belly...he saw a c-section on a baby story and got all excited when he found the door lol....Since you're doing a homebirth you could tell her that your body opens a door down below and the baby comes out....who knows it may buy you a little time lol.

I thought for a while just telling ds that babies get in because the daddy sends some fish to eat eggs that mommy has in her belly and the fastest fish wins and turns into a baby, then use the tad pole experiment to show fetal development lol. I'm totally relieved his imagination has bought me plenty more time to think how to approach the situation lol

Quoting Boobah:

I don't think that was him asking. I have been struggling with this myself because my dd is 6.5 and keeps asking "well, how do babies get OUT of your belly?". I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant, and having a home birth that she may or may not be there for, so I feel like I need to explain a bit. Howeverm I'm struggling with what to say. You know once she knows how they get outs she is going to wonder how they get IN. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)