Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Moving and need advice!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

I'm homeschooling my DD in K, and we are going to be moving from NY to Idaho. There will be stops in SD and MT to see family for a time as well.  I use Calvert for my curriculum and we are half way through. How can I keep up with studies and checkpoints while we are driving for 8 hrs/day? Yes, I can go over some things; however she can't do her math probs. and writing. Can use the travel as field trips, noting things from every state we go through? How many hours can I log for field trips etc? Or, will it really matter in the end as she is only in K? She is great with a computer, maybe she could use educational sites for some extra learning??

Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide!!

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Id say don't stress about it too much. The trip will already be jammed full of education so she can take a break from the more hands-on subjects until you reach your destination.

I once drove my boys (by myself!) 10 hours across 3 states to. Isn't a CM friend, then 3 days later we added an additional 9 hours to the trip in order to include a trip to philidelphia. I just made sure to include a learning bag for each child that had coloring pages and worksheets for each state we passed through.
oredeb
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

do you have to count hours in idaho?

just traveling is educational, you dont have to keep up the calvert curr as you move! take some time off for traveling and for unpacking! thats educational also! your right shes only in k! have some fun with her while you travel, enjoy the sites out the window! you could make up learning travel games! the abc travel game, or colors travel game or numbers! fun!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a phone she play with education websites? Find some for math and starfall.com and you'll be set.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree the trip alone is educational in its self!

koko369
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Great idea! Thank you.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Id say don't stress about it too much. The trip will already be jammed full of education so she can take a break from the more hands-on subjects until you reach your destination.

I once drove my boys (by myself!) 10 hours across 3 states to. Isn't a CM friend, then 3 days later we added an additional 9 hours to the trip in order to include a trip to philidelphia. I just made sure to include a learning bag for each child that had coloring pages and worksheets for each state we passed through.

koko369
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I don't think so. She's only 5 and you don't have to inform the state unless they are 6.  I appreciate the information....great ideas for the travel games. Thank you.

Quoting oredeb:

do you have to count hours in idaho?

just traveling is educational, you dont have to keep up the calvert curr as you move! take some time off for traveling and for unpacking! thats educational also! your right shes only in k! have some fun with her while you travel, enjoy the sites out the window! you could make up learning travel games! the abc travel game, or colors travel game or numbers! fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)