Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Honest and Trustworthy

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM
  • 8 Replies

So my daughter is in 2nd grade. We're using the county text book for social studies since I couldn't decide on a good curriculum that suits us at the beginning of the year...ANYWAY... theres a huge section on citizenship and the book stresses honesty and trustworthiness along with empathy/compassion. A project that is suggested by the board of education's Teach21 page was to print out this chart and write down when you see someone being honest, trustworthy, empathetic/compassionate. Then read stories on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln (The "I can not tell a lie" story and stories that told why Lincoln was called Honest Abe). We made a poster with her shiloute, titled it "Honest Jamie", and then she was to write on how she was like either Washington or Lincoln based on their stories and give her own example.  Jamie couldn't come up with a single time she was honest or trustworthy or compassionate and called my mom to ask for help (she didn't like any of my examples of course) My mom became confused at what the assignemnt was so I was telling her about this project and she told me I was absolutely nuts and that kids her age can not understand what it is to be honest, trustworthy, or compassionate. Really?! So then what is my job....to just let her run amuk? Because I thought, as a parent, it was my job to teach her those skills....  Mind you, this project is also coming from off a site that the public school teachers are supposed to access to find projects to do with their students...so if the public school kids can come up with something, I'm pretty sure my kid can!  It just makes me incredibly angry that my mom said that and now thinks I'm trying to make her do stuff that's "too hard."
*I was and do help(ing) her with every aspect of her homework so she wasn't left to just come up with something by herself and it didn't have to be something as significant as the stories we read. She ended up writing that she was honest because the dog had destroryed the garbage in her room while we were gone one day since she left her door open (which a rule in our house is if we leave and the dog stays home, all doors must be closed) and she cleaned up the mess. She wrote she was like Washington because like her, he told the truth even though he knew he could still get into trouble.
Sorry...I had to vent otherwise I probably would strangle my mother the next time I see her....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a huge part of the problem w/ education in America is underestimating kids. I'd rather the work be so hard that we have to do it as a team, rather that treat my kids like simpletons.

Did she ever punish you for lying as a child? If so, why was she punishing you for something beyond your understanding??
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM

that was my point to her. I told her that if she didn't know how to be honest by the age of 7 I have failed as a parent and that I don't know how the heck I ever grew up learning to be honest and trustworthy then.... she promptly changed the subject how I shouldn't compare how I grew up to how she's growing up even though she's the one who always uses the comparisons...and her statement still made me look bad. I just have no idea how to handle her in situations like this. I almost feel like she expects me to teach her the same stuff I'm teaching my 2 yr old and nothing more so that it isn't a challenge. If kids aren't being challenged, they won't grow.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think a huge part of the problem w/ education in America is underestimating kids. I'd rather the work be so hard that we have to do it as a team, rather that treat my kids like simpletons.

Did she ever punish you for lying as a child? If so, why was she punishing you for something beyond your understanding??

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Ugh! I hate situations like that!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

In my state one of the subjects you have to teach as homeschoolers is Good Citizenship. I think that assignment (aside from the fact that the information about Lincoln & Washington isn't true & is actually from there political campaigns to get people to see them as honest & good & has over the years become mixed up with the true facts about them) is a great way to get kids to think about their actions!

oredeb
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

awwww

well kids are never to young to learn those attributes!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I explained the stories never really happened true but that it made for a good moral story ;) She gave me another proud moment when she said, "So they're really more fables than real stories?" Apparently I AM teaching her something lol

Quoting usmom3:

In my state one of the subjects you have to teach as homeschoolers is Good Citizenship. I think that assignment (aside from the fact that the information about Lincoln & Washington isn't true & is actually from there political campaigns to get people to see them as honest & good & has over the years become mixed up with the true facts about them) is a great way to get kids to think about their actions!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly.

And your daughter came up with a good example, which proves she CAN do it. Take that mom. :P

Quoting KickButtMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I do not think that is above her level, my kindergardener did basically the same project this year. He also read the same books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN