Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you get your baseline?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

At each age there seems to be things kids should know (how to read by a certain point, certain kinds of math)- if you make up your own curriculum, how do you figure out what your baseline for what you want them to know at the end of the year?

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

scope and sequences, are what help me out with that, i use various ones, but just as a guide not as something we have to follow or else!hahaha if we arent there we always have next sept!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Teach21 on what they're at least learning in the public school to get a general idea, at least for WV. Some things we do, some we don't. She's been working at her own pace and I've noticed that in a few subjects we've actually been doing 3rd grade work (she's in 2nd).

Danielle163
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I follow Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School. It is an excellent resource. Calvert.com also has scope & sequence for grades up to 8th. Your school district should have requirements posted on their website for each grade also.

wanderingwolf
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

For Arabic and Islamic Studies Ad-Duha Institute has  scope and sequence of what they should know by the next year in order to go onto the next level so I'll follow that.  For the regular subjects (Science, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies) not sure.  I'd have to look up Amanda School District to see if they have anything on what grade levels should be learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)