Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

home emergencies never stop, its impossible

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 8 Replies

We have septic diaster for 3months last fall, then 2 new leaks in school room while painting it. Like painting wasnt enough distraction for school. Now I have found carpet beetles again..after scrubbing top to bottom every inch of house. So now I am recleaning every single thing. I managed to somehow get some school done while cleaning. But these freakin chaous are never ending. With my house trashed ALL the time. How can I keep this up. Slight mess is fine, but we are talking nasty mess. How do you keep up with schooling with non-stop home falling apart? DH is only some help (he does dishes, trash, and helps me fold clothes). I dont know what to do, this is one of those moments that makes you want to give up.

ok vent over, back to cleaning.

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Oh man, that is rough! I hope things settle down for you soon. My house is in a state of chaos right now as we paint and get ready for baby also. it's frustrating, so I can see how it must be for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Um, I demand everyone cleans the mess they make - inc kids. And everyone is on cleaning rotation in my house from dishes to laundry. I'm the mean mom..lol
wright1212
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Um, I demand everyone cleans the mess they make - inc kids. And everyone is on cleaning rotation in my house from dishes to laundry. I'm the mean mom..lol

I so wish and dream of the day they can. My 9yo cant developmentally, and he makes quiet a mess. My 2yo is learning to pick up and he helps some with laundry and just making sure trash is in the can..but again he is very messy. I would lose it w.o my 7yo who helps alot, but I feel sorry for her since she is the only who can.

whitepaw7
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

hi, that sounds like a lot of disasters, sorry to hear you have so much to deal with. We have had a number of disasters also, seems like everything happens at once! My second son was diagnosed with moderatly severe autism and my oldest with pdd/nos. I know our kids have a great deal of difference in what they are capable of doing. Right now its harrd with all you ave going on, but I know my 2nd son taught me something. One of his therapist had suggested something when he was about 6-7, I didn't think he would be able to, but he proved me wrong. She suggested starting with a small chore, pateintly showing him step by step, very detailed, keeping it the same time, same thing everyday. It always takes him longer to get it, but once he had it he has done very well, and I am very thankful we tried. Once he learned he really enjoys doing his part, he is now 12. He sweeps the kitchen and dining room, takes the kitchen garbage out to the can in the garage, and unloads dishwasher once a day, and on Tuesdays he now brings his hamper into the laundry room and sorts his clothes. Sweeping is one of his favorites, when we started with sweeping the therapist took 'confetti' and sprinkled it over the area we were wanting him to do, then visually on paper divided the area into sections and showed him how to sweep each section, and then into the dustpan and then to the garbage can. Then let him try, helping him, often hand over hand. Then I did this with him everyday for quite awhile(can't remember exactly how long it took). We started with a small area so it only took 10 min and that was going slow to teach him, then when he had done well for awhile with that section we made a big deal about how he could do the whole room. (still not real big). He still does it the same way and the same time, which is very helpful especially right now that am stuck on bedrest. I know these things will get done because that is his routine! My other children appreciate it alot too, for awhile there they had trouble with the fact they had chores and he didn't, they knew he had problems but it was still hard. Anyway, you know your son best and I wish I could help more with the current issues, but just maybe this might be helpful later, like you said there always seems to be something happening, we never know what tomorrow will bring. I hope things go better for you soon!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting wright1212:

I understand. My eldest is also special needs -ASD/SPD/PDD. I can't give a general command, like 'clean your room' so I have separate blank drawing notebooks (he hates lined paper) for each room. (we no longer need to use this system, btw) There is 1 command per page. So instead of saying 'clean your room' on his day for chores (listed on our weekly schedule) I break out his bedroom notebook and turn to the first page - pick up all socks, place in blue basket. Then he would flip the page and read 'pick up all pants, place in white basket.' when using this system it was easier on him to not mix laundry, so we had a blue basket for socks & underwear, a white basket for pants, a pink basket for towels & pj's and a separate blue basket for shirts. For dishes he would be able to wash plates, bowls & silverware. Mechanically he had trouble w/ sweeping so instead he did spot sweeps with a dustpan and small broom. He doesn't like vacuuming, but my younger son loves it, so generally DS2 does that task.

ALL also has these great detergent drop in things. They are little pre-filled packets. So, DS can help with laundry as long as someone tells him when there are enough clothes in the washer. They team up to transfer clothes from the washer to dryer, and a dryer bar means he doesn't have to worry about one of those, either.

I found it easier to gain his cooperation by making sure things had clearly labeled destinations. And he could help if instructions were broken down into parts. We would look like hoarders if it were all on my shoulders..lol. I have a physical disability that means my legs are in terrible pain most days. So I am physically incapable of doing all the work.

I also found he liked to help (most days).
oredeb
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

awwwwww well i hope this will be the last of anything going wrong for a long long time! have you figured out why your getting the carpet beetles?

wright1212
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
We are not really sure where they came from, old boxes of clothes from a basement? They are in all rooms of my kinda big house now. As soon as I get things picked up we will have it sprayed.

I love the idea of sweeping, we will try that as his after breakfast chore. Also the flip book of how to do a chore, I can make a list maker or choice board using his iPad and camera!! I love the iPad.

The hardest part is he is 9 and at 2yo level and has 2 big clusters of seizures everyday, so he is easily done with school work or whatever when those happen, but we can still try. His ABA has potty on her goals, but I will tell her about sweeping and my goal of him making his bed!! Oh I may make a list with iPad for my little guy too, but he does almost any 1step thing I tell him. I also realized today if I make the little guy some more innovative things like busy bags that could help me teach the older asd son a helpful skill!!
I love having hs moms to vent and brainstorm with. <3 <3 <3
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I'm sorry. We seem to have waves of 'diasters', too. Take a week break from regular school, spend today cleaning up one room where the kiddos can STAY put for the week and find some movies, toys, whatever to keep them busy.Download some new Apps for your 9 yo.

Then, take this week to tackle your problems. I know with three kids, you'll still be starting, stopping all week but hopefully you can get it done. Sometimes, we have to stop fighting against the tide to get school work done, and just go with it. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN