Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone have children with ADD /ADHD or anything similar?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 22 Replies

What are some symptoms , things you notice about your child at home ? I am also going to google it. I am somewhat thinking my 5yo may have something going on . I have had people ask me about everything from "is she autistic" to "does she have ADD" . It is very hard for me to describe her actions and personality. I am really not sure if it is just her personality or if there is something going on . Also do you medicate or do you control symptoms other ways ?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I found THIS 

The Symptoms of ADHD

A person with ADHD might do any or all of these symptoms chronically for more than six consecutive months:

• Loses things
  • Seems not to listen
  • Has difficulty keeping attention on something
  • Avoids tasks requiring focus for any sustained amount of time
  • Gets easily distracted
  • Is very un-organized
  • Has problems following instructions
  • Is forgetful in the short-term
  • Makes careless mistakes
  • Interrupts without noticing
  • Talks too much
  • Can’t stay still or fidgets
  • Has problems with doing activities quietly
  • Difficulty waiting in line or taking turns
  • Very impatient
  • Runs around or climbs excessively

If your child only displays a few of these symptoms from time to time, then your child probably doesn’t have ADHD. But if this list seems very familiar to you and these things affect you and your child’s everyday lives, then it is in both of your best interests to learn as

Author: Kurt Robinson

And she has had all of that for going on a year. My problem is I kinda think alot of kids exhibit this type of behavior. I am so torn !

Danielle163
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that my DD has a combo of ADD/ADHD/Aspergers and I'm  starting to think that I have it as well. We both have trouble focusing, concentrating, are very hyper and talkative, are wound very tight......LOL.....I could go on and on. I was never medicated  and DD isn't either. She's never been a good sleeper. I've actually been giving her coffee in small amounts throughout the day and she sleeps so much better. For school we take breaks as needed. She has a hard time sitting still. She has quite a few of the traits on your list.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Cole is what I call 'exuberant'. LOL If he was in public school, I think they'd want him to be medicated. I think the biggest question to ask yourself is this: Is she happy or is she always upset or considers herself dumb. I had to ask myself that with Cole. He didn't feel he had an issue and so I realized that this is just the way he is. He wasn't getting upset because he wasn't trying to be good, LOL. Lots of times, ADHD kids want to be good (aka sit still,listen, remember things), and they CAN'T. Cole can but he needs a lot of direction to stay on task or to keep his volume down. Does that make sense?

haymanisourson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Look into the feingold diet. We just started it and already have moments where he is completely different. We are still in the detox period, and will probably be set back alittle because they gave him cookies and capri suns at church today. But I highly recommend looking into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I like exuberant!

Quoting mem82:

Cole is what I call 'exuberant'. LOL If he was in public school, I think they'd want him to be medicated. I think the biggest question to ask yourself is this: Is she happy or is she always upset or considers herself done. I had to ask myself that with Cole. He didn't feel he had an issue and so I realized that this is just the way he is. He wasn't getting upset because he wasn't trying to be good, LOL. Lots of times, ADHD kids want to be good (aka sit still,listen, remember things), and they CAN'T. Cole can but he needs a lot of direction to stay on task or to keep his volume down. Does that make sense?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM
My oldest has Aspergers/sensory processing disorder/pervasive developmental delay. Aspergers is on the autism spectrum. I have 3 Journals where I listed my observations, these helped w/ getting the right diagnosis for him.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1669058/My_home_AS_Eval_Social_Issues_Emotional_Respons
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1669057/My_Home_AS_Eval_Physical_Manifestations_Cognitive
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1669056/My_Home_AS_Eval_Education_Behaviors

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM
We do not medicate.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Quoting mem82:

Lots of times, ADHD kids want to be good (aka sit still,listen, remember things), and they CAN'T. Cole can but he needs a lot of direction to stay on task or to keep his volume down. Does that make sense?

My Aspie is the same. When having a melt down, t's made worse if people try to distract him - thereby drawing attention to him. He gets embarrassed and feels that much more out of control...which make the behaviors worse. My first step to bringing him balance was to realize I was a large part of the problem.

He's much better when I give him the tools to Self Regulate. It gives him validation and control.
sew4fun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Thank you ladies. I have been reading and reasearching all day. It looks like she has more of the ADHD symptoms and some learning disabilities symptoms too. I do not see any of the autistic/aspergers symptoms with her.

sew4fun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I am NOT wanting to medicate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN