Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

starting Monday I will be homeschooling my 6 yr old autistic son.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Anyone else? Any advice?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Well, CONGRATS! You will not regret it. There are a few ladies on here that have kids on the autism spectrum. I have one with OCD. I'm not comparing my situation at all, just giving info.

I homeschool my 2 boys, they are in 6th and 9th.

There are so many resources out there. What are you going to use?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I have always HS my 2 boys. My oldest is now 10 1/2 y/o. He's Aspie/SPD/PDD. I've found that having a clearly defined schedule and clearly understood expectations are a great help. A lot of our first year was trial & error. Each of these kids are so different. Make sure he understand you're just trying this (program, curriculum, project, whatever) and if it doesnt work you can try something else. My son would develop high anxiety when trying new techniques if he felt he wasn't getting it w/in 5 minutes. I always saw HS w/ him like learning his special language. His brain works different from mine, so things I'd find greatly entertaining would bomb..lol.

I also did a lot of observation in the beginning. In what situation would he absorb information? I let him choose a project, like volcanos, then just be sure we had a million different resources to support his inquiry. Once I had him mostly figured out, it became almost ridiculously easy to HS him. These kids are brilliant. I just had to find the right technique to nurture that brilliance. He's just completed programming his own video game.

I'm here for you! I'm not saying its all sunshine & daisys. Sometimes we will go a week without any formal school wrk f he is stressed. I just make sure he knows it's no problem!

Shannon
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Congrats and welcome! What made you to decide to make the leap? 8)

JoiseyGirl_78
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My son was harmed last Wed on the way home from school by his school security guard. I am quite sure the guard didn't mean too, but I won't allow it to happen to him again. My son had an issue on the bus, he flipped out because the driver was new, AND two days after the new driver started, she tried to change his seat. Security brought him home. He had a bruise on his arm, where the security was holding his arm very tightly, he had scratches down his back which I knew he did not have that morning and he had a huge red mark on his chest. I will never allow that to happen again. Period.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Welcome! I've heard such wonderful stories of how much it has helped autistic children. Several ladies in here chose to homeschool because of autism and the lack of appropriate help in the public schools. I'm sure you will do great :)

I am homeschooling my first grade daughter currently, and I have an almost 3 year old, and another on the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Hello!
I am one of those hs my low functioning asd son. I love that I can go on his schedule and his needs! I also have a 7yo dd and a 2yo ds. I do advise if possible to make the school your friend. We have a contract in which they provide st and to, and home aba, and an iPad for us. I just him 2days week for an hour each time.
Using his current iep is a good place to start homeschool. Also really getting to know how he learns best... Computers, physically using his body, writing. Use his fav. Subjects.
Oh my biggest tip ever.. Start and end on something they can succeed at, this keeps the attitude positive. Just sandwich the harder stuff in between. Could talk on and on, MSG me if u want to chat more. So sorry about ur incident, but welcome to our group!

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

wowguildmomma
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I homeschool my autistic kids and I love it. I can work around what they need and at thier speed.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

How did your fist day go?

That's terrible, what happened to him. I'm so sorry.

1Redapple
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

you rockI wish more parents would step up like you did, when a real problem arises.  You can do this! welcome to the group.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

My son was harmed last Wed on the way home from school by his school security guard. I am quite sure the guard didn't mean too, but I won't allow it to happen to him again. My son had an issue on the bus, he flipped out because the driver was new, AND two days after the new driver started, she tried to change his seat. Security brought him home. He had a bruise on his arm, where the security was holding his arm very tightly, he had scratches down his back which I knew he did not have that morning and he had a huge red mark on his chest. I will never allow that to happen again. Period.

Sweet_Britt
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I'm so sorry that happened to your son : (

How did your first day go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN