Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

year round homeschooling need help

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi there, I plan on homeschooling year round this is my first year officially. So my question is how do you do it? Do you go through material much faster or slower? Do you take for instance Dec off? What advice can you give me for homeschooling year round including plaining. Thanks ladies in advance. I appreciate the help.

twin girls

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue52
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

My easiest advice would be to make your own schedule. Take a calendar and mark what time off you want for Holidays and vacations... Plan a few weeks of schooling at a time. If you miss a day you can just pick right back up a day or so later. Oh depending on your state guidelines just make sure you dont have a requirement of having your schooling completed by a certain time every year...Good Luck.

BLUE

5BMom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM
We school year round. We take off the third week of June, July, August, and September for camping trips. We take off Jan 1st, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve and Day. Other than that, we set weekly goals and get things done when we get them done. We don't follow set days or times with in the week. This gives us real flexibility... for field trips, sick days, Super Tuesday this week, lol...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I don't have much experience with homeschooling, I'm still learning the ropes and deciding if it's for us- but maybe if you are doing it all year round you could take more time for little 'detours' and include more information on topics you want to cover.  It sounds like a good idea to plan out your schd. and some vacation time.  Hope it all goes well!

Prahl
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Thanks you guys, I really like the idea of schooling all year round. I guess my next question would be do you schedule for an evaluation as well?
romacox
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM

It is up to you, but you do have to consider your State laws, and your children's needs.  But normally one goes through the material much faster than public schools do. 

The following article explains how to find out about your State laws, grade level requirements, testing resources, many of the methods used by home educators, resources, and more:

How To Home School ( you will want to bookmark it because it covers from pre K through High School)

KickButtMama
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM
I generally spend August putting my next year curriculum together. We go through about 2 grades/year. We usually take off December and then a week here and there, nothings set in stone. I think my biggest piece of year-round schooling advice is to be prepared to chuck your plan/curriculum. It's hard to plan a whole year in advance. Sometimes I'll plan out 6 mos curriculum then reevaluate. Or I have to be ready to throw away the plan if something else comes up.
carolkey74
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We school for six weeks, then take two weeks off. When my kids finish a curriculum, we move on to the next level. My daughter finished 9th grade in 7 months, so now she's a 13 y/o sophomore. I let the kids work at their own pace. As far as evaluations go, they aren't required in my state, so we don't do them. The only exception will be when they take the ACT for college admission.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

All of my plans went out the window haha.  We take off when I feel like it's time for a break (could be a day, could be a week).   When one curriculum is finished we move to the next level, and take a break on that subject while we wait for it to get here.  Every once in a while I feel it's time to re-evaluate everything and will take a few days to do that.  I thought I was a very structured person (I am in almost everything else), but homeschooling has taught me to relax and go with the flow...and I love it. 

KickButtMama
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Quoting Prahl:

Thanks you guys, I really like the idea of schooling all year round. I guess my next question would be do you schedule for an evaluation as well?

That all depends on your laws. We do not have any evaluation or testing requirements here. I teach for Mastery, so testing/evaluation is redundant. We just don't move on until the boys have a clear mastery of the material.
bugayfamilyof4
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Are schooling is sorta based around the weather. We live in Vegas and take the not so cold and not so hot weeks off. That is the awesome thing about homeschooling. Do what is best for your family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)