Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

very disoriented...

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

I joined this group because after this year I am going to homeschool my boys ages 6 and 9. I wanted to know how do I even go about it???? Please any advice, information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

confused

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

First you need to know the laws for your state & figure out your sons learning styles (it helps to know so when you are looking for curriculum or deciding what kind of homeschooling to do)

swim-mom72
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Checking the laws is a great place to start. There are a couple of diff sites for that, your state could have its own. I use HSLDA (home school legal defense assoc.). Yahoo is also another great resource for finding other homeschoolers or groups near you. For me, when I pulled my boys out to homeschool, knowing other homeschoolers was an invaluable tool.

Kathy Duffy has a great book that was wonderful in figuring out what kind of learning my kids are. It is called 100 Top Picks for homeschooling. Another very useful site is homeschoolreviews.com I have learned soooo much from those ladies.

Oh, congrats! You are not alone, ask lots of questions, and enjoy your kids.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I, also, suggest trolling the Internet blogosphere and seeing all the different styles. Look around and see what seems to speak to you. Do you want to be a free spirit? More school at home-ish? Book based? That will really help you narrow down what kind of things to look at in terms of curriculum.

nutrimom624
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM

thank you so much ladies for all the advice =) I will be asking lots and lots of questions as I go along but I am very excited and absolutely feel that this is the best choice for my kids!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

We love questions so don't hesitate to ask! I pulled my oldest after 1st grade. That was four years ago and I have never regretted it. 8)

Quoting nutrimom624:

thank you so much ladies for all the advice =) I will be asking lots and lots of questions as I go along but I am very excited and absolutely feel that this is the best choice for my kids!!!!

oredeb
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

like everyone is saying check your law heres a place to do that

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

are they out of school now?

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Like anything new it can be daunting.  But the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, and next year you will be helping another mom with the same question.

Much of what you need to do depends on your State laws.  Following is an article that will help you with your State laws,  different methods used by home educators (home school is not the class room),  links to various resources,  understanding your children's learning styles, testing resources (some states require this), grade level requirements and more:  How To Home School

It is really easier than you might now think. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I thought you might enjoy this video from another home educator.  It speaks for many of us.

nutrimom624
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM

oh this is wonderful ...I loved it.... thank you!!!!!!!blowing kisses

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

you need to know the laws in your state...and then you can know how to go about things

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN