Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to HS, we need official post..

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

So many are choosing to HS and always so many questions on getting started...

Can an admin create an official sticky post in which we all put our 'getting started' advice? Kinda like a 'new? then start here' post? KWIM? Then we all comment and ad in our best advice. I know Ive seen about 2-3+ a week of..new and starting homeschool how do i do it.

OH and on that sticky post put a reminder to search. I know I snooped for a week before posting just reading and searching previous discussions to know where to jump in the conversation.

Does this make since? Would it be a better way to help newbies?

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I don't know. It's a good idea but, really, a lot of my advice is more tailored to whom I'm talking. What I tell to a Pre K-er is different than what I tell to someone who is pulling their older child. 

You might want to book mark conversations where everyone gives really good advice and then link it in your reply. That way they could see all the advice that has been given in the past.

Anyone new to online forums might not know how to search or if they are new to homeschooling, they might not know what to search. The best way to build community with each other is to flap our fingers and gums. LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I've thought the same, and I agree that things are different for each person. But there are some things that everyone needs to do first. They need to check their laws first and foremost, and then I'd say figure out what type of homeschooler you are, or combination of types. It really helped me feel less overwhelmed when I had an idea of what type of materials I wanted to look at.

Maybe a resource recommendation also. Like some of the most popular books to read about homeschooling, as well as some of the most popular curriculum resources.

I guess it could get to be a LOT of information. I almost think a locked sticky would be best. Something with just facts, that you don't have to weed through a bunch of comments to find info in.

I dnt actually mind telling people the same thing though. When people throw a link at me and say "here is a sticky" I get a little turned off. I forget to look at stickies before posting sometimes too. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

yea i agree!!!!at least something that tells where to find the homeschooling laws!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I have seen post like that in other homeschool groups, usually the new members still want to post there own personal Q & concerns rather than read thru every ones general advise.

spitfire06
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Hey I am finsihing this years prek lessons from home any tips would be welcome! Sorry to random this post..

Quoting mem82:

I don't know. It's a good idea but, really, a lot of my advice is more tailored to whom I'm talking. What I tell to a Pre K-er is different than what I tell to someone who is pulling their older child. 

You might want to book mark conversations where everyone gives really good advice and then link it in your reply. That way they could see all the advice that has been given in the past.

Anyone new to online forums might not know how to search or if they are new to homeschooling, they might not know what to search. The best way to build community with each other is to flap our fingers and gums. LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Yeah I agree I wouldn't want to clog up the first page with a bunch of stickys, I dislike that too. I guess I was thinking like a place to put those laws, very fav sites and resources. I just noticed there seems to be a lot of 'how where do I start'. Then their next post gets specific where each of us chime in with our particular background. Some of us know online curriculum, traditional, popular. I myself know hands on eclectic with special needs. I would hate to discourage those specific inquiries since each of us of our own strengths to help!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I like the idea, though. Maybe not a newbie page, but how about a resource page? A page with free worksheet sites, general information like Homeschooling A-Z .com, etc?

Quoting wright1212:

Yeah I agree I wouldn't want to clog up the first page with a bunch of stickys, I dislike that too. I guess I was thinking like a place to put those laws, very fav sites and resources. I just noticed there seems to be a lot of 'how where do I start'. Then their next post gets specific where each of us chime in with our particular background. Some of us know online curriculum, traditional, popular. I myself know hands on eclectic with special needs. I would hate to discourage those specific inquiries since each of us of our own strengths to help!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Not a problem. I heart random! I like letter of the week programs and nature studies the best for Pre K.

Quoting spitfire06:

Hey I am finsihing this years prek lessons from home any tips would be welcome! Sorry to random this post..

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)