Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wants to learn more from Homeschooling moms

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello- I am considering education options for our only child who is now 16 months old (I know I know) and just wanted to get  a feel for what homeschooling is like for moms and kids. Tx!

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Welcome!  I'm in the same boat as you and just learning- this group is great and I have learned so much, I'm sure you will love it here!  :)

awilliams77
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Good for you for thinking ahead! After all, when you were pregnant you made plans for the birth,right?
Is your child at home with you most days? Do you play with him/her, read books, go to the park, the grocery store, to visit friends? If so, you are already off to a good start.
Find out about the laws in your state, look online and in the library for books/articles on homeschooling and learning styles.
Homeschooling can be a great thing for many families. I was homeschooled my last few years of highschool and now homeschool my children. 2 have graduated from homeschool and have moved on to college. We've used unit studies, various curriculum, and even online charter school. Each child and year are different. You just have to find what works for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I understand your enthusiasm. ..Good for you. I am a home school workshop leader, and I always tell new parents that home school is not the class room. 

How To Home School (State laws, children's learning styles, testing resources (some states require this), grade level requirements, different methods used by home educators (resources links included), and more.

oredeb
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

well your with your kids at home a lot  and it depends on how you want to teach them or what type of homeschooling you want to do

some people make out lesson plans, so they know what they want to teach each day or if you buy a curr it comes with one!

homeschooling is a way of life! the kids ar always learning, even if your done with the academics for the day,

some days the house will be a mess, cuz you've been busy with schooling or your sick or?

and it depends on the type of mom you are, everything in order, scheduled, no messes or in the middle of that messes dont scare you, or you dont mind a messy house at all!hahah

some of us have homeschooling rooms, some dont , we just work at the table, store books on a shelf

you can take the kids on field trips

join a homeschool group, which offer field trips also, support, moms nights, kids friends to play with

you can have your kids do the extra curricula activities like baseball, soccer, football, swimming, gymnastic, dance, etc

each state has a hs law that the hsers are suppose to follow

you will be your child's main teacher, so if there's subjects you don't know anything about, you will need to learn about them or have someone else teach your child how to go about it,

you can hs all year or take times off during the year or take the summers off and start up again in sept or any month!

you dont have to hs any set times, or months you can choose how it will work for you!

you don't have to follow the public schools rules or times they do school etc

you will be buying books or curr depending on the type of hser you are, curr pkg cost lots, but so do some books!hahah then there's the Internet and with just the cost of ink and copy paper its cheaper, also there's used books to buy instead of new(i don't think Ive ever bought  new book for schooling!)

there will be times when you dont want to do school and just lazy around doing nothing! that's ok! cuz we don't have to follow any schedules(unless you are on one you made yourself)

there will be times when you get frustrated with your child(ren) cuz they are not listening, not getting the concept, or just being stubborn! or you just don't want to teach now!

carolan1025
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

thanks for the great info....do you find that your homeschooled kids are positively affected by the dual role of mom, teacher, etc.... or can it lead to problems for a mother/daugher relationship? In my case, she is and will e an only child because I cannot have anymore. Tx!

oredeb
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

no they except me as mom teacher chauffeur doctor etc!hahaha they've never known me any other way. im  close to my daughters, they are always calling, or coming over or emailing or texting, my son not so much as them! but the girls always have questions and such

we've never had a problem with the mom/daughter relationship

debbie

Quoting carolan1025:

thanks for the great info....do you find that your homeschooled kids are positively affected by the dual role of mom, teacher, etc.... or can it lead to problems for a mother/daugher relationship? In my case, she is and will e an only child because I cannot have anymore. Tx!

lulululu000
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Hi  - this is my first day here.  I am a long-time relic homeschooler.  I started in 1985 with my daughter in Kindergarten and my son daycare /preschool age.  We traveled and moved around but school was a stable factor for us. I went all the way from pre-school thru their senior years.  They were fantastically ready and able for college.  I will happily answer questions on techniques I used, curriculum etc for anyone considering it.  Those years bought us together as a family and I wouldn't change a thing.

oredeb
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

hahahah now lulululu we are called veterans! not relics!!!!hahahahaha

Quoting lulululu000:

Hi  - this is my first day here.  I am a long-time relic homeschooler.  I started in 1985 with my daughter in Kindergarten and my son daycare /preschool age.  We traveled and moved around but school was a stable factor for us. I went all the way from pre-school thru their senior years.  They were fantastically ready and able for college.  I will happily answer questions on techniques I used, curriculum etc for anyone considering it.  Those years bought us together as a family and I wouldn't change a thing.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM

My oldest is a girl and we get along, fine. In some ways it has made us closer. I have time to really hear her and I think that is a huge plus in the homeschooling column. LOL

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

As you stated you have plenty of time.  Just grab some good books and read up :)    I always recommend "The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook" by the Moores.   You might subscribe to a good home educating magazine too.   There are many good ones but I think my favorite is  Home School Enrichment.   I have home educated going on 20 yrs and have graduated all of my children but one.  I still have a 14 yr old. I promise you that you will never, ever regret the time you have with your child educating her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)