Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Testing

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

I live in NY and have been asked by the school 2 times if my son will be sitting in on the test at the school in June.  I don't understand why they would ask that. Don't they realize that we will not be on the same learning material. I have ordered a tsest from setontesting.com. Another mother I know nearby uses them. What tests do you use?

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

In Ohio, we can test or submit portfolios. My son gets a portfolio reviewed and my Oldest gets tested. We use the Standord test and it's given by an outside source since I read Ohio law as it has to be a nonparent giving the test.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

My children do their state tests sometime in April/May (varies) at a testing center, it's about a 2-3 day once a year thing.

oredeb
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

none no tests here

Penmom4
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Quoting mem82:

In Ohio, we can test or submit portfolios. My son gets a portfolio reviewed and my Oldest gets tested. We use the Standord test and it's given by an outside source since I read Ohio law as it has to be a nonparent giving the test.

Same as us. I just want to be sure I brush him up on the right stuff. The school will not let me look at thier test.

Sariah747
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

None, no testing required here!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

No testing required here!

awilliams77
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM
no testing required by my 3rd option group here in SC
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

We have used Seton's in the past... but they only have CAT if I remember correctly, and that's more of a survey test. I prefer the ITBS (and it is more widely used). We will use the ITBS this year and I know my child will not be on the same wavelength in science and history; but should be in reading, grammar, spelling, and math; so I'm not entirely worried.

Some states have more oversight. Does NY require you teach certain things in certain grades? They don't here, but I know some states are more strict.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Quoting awilliams77:

no testing required by my 3rd option group here in SC

We're third option in SC too!

:)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)