Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you moms do when you are sick or not feeling well?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm doing virtual school with my 6yr old dd, the last few days my anxiety disorder has been really bad. I have panic attacks & it's very hard to teach, what do y'all do when you are under the weather?

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Replies (11-17):
Anna92464
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

When I am sick, I take care of myself first.  When the kids were little, they climbed into my bed, and we watched t.v. , usually old sticoms like I love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, etc.  until I felt better.   With anxiety, I would take some Rescue Remedy,  go outside in the fresh air and sunshine and we would play or take walks.  I also have valium for emergencies. 

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM

It depends on my level of sickness, if its just a normal flare up where i'm taking 6-10 baths a day, we continue as usual and while i soak in the tub he takes breaks or does workbook pages. If its a migrane or a stomach bug its school as usual with just less mommy led, If its a post op recovery, or something that has driven me to the ER he usually just lays in bed with me in my room and watches various kids dvds like leapfrog, sesame street, elmos world, sid the science kid, phineas and ferb, etc..

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Well, I had the stomach flu yesterday and today. Hubby was home yesterday so he did school. Today, we didn't do a darn thing. I barely got out of bed besides for the obvious, and feeding them or assisting with potty, making sure everyone was safe. Lol.
It all depends on how sick I am. I really don't want them to catch this, it's awful, so I stayed away as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I've had chronic migraines for 25 years. When I get a migraine ( my oldest son has started getting them too), the kids will work on whatever they can independently, and the rest can wait. Sometimes I will put on a show that I recorded from the History Channel for them to watch. I've been beating myself up this year because our schoolyear has stunk from day one; we haven't had one full week that we've done "schoolwork" every day. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it, because they are still learning.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I have a physical disability. When i am laid up then the kids can work on independant projects, computer work, etc. otherwise it is like vaca time for them, tv video games, etc. but i use my own curriculum, so i don't have to sign in or anything like with VS.

For instance, i was laid up for 90% of the last month. I felt a little guilty, but i know it all works out in the process. We will make up for it all year long, since we don't take a lot of breaks. And the kids are advanced in many subjects, so i don't stress. Even if we were forced to unschool for a whole year it would all work out in the end....but again, i dont have to log into anything day to day.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Sorry if I'm overstepping, but have you tried chiropractic for your migranes? I know so many people who have gotten major relief from migranes since starting so I just wanted to throw it out there :)

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I've had chronic migraines for 25 years. When I get a migraine ( my oldest son has started getting them too), the kids will work on whatever they can independently, and the rest can wait. Sometimes I will put on a show that I recorded from the History Channel for them to watch. I've been beating myself up this year because our schoolyear has stunk from day one; we haven't had one full week that we've done "schoolwork" every day. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it, because they are still learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Boobah:

Sorry if I'm overstepping, but have you tried chiropractic for your migranes? I know so many people who have gotten major relief from migranes since starting so I just wanted to throw it out there :)

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I've been seeing a chiropractor for almost 7 years. I've also tried every prescription med that is on the market, herbal remedies, Epsom Salt baths, and acupuncture. I've come to accept that this is the way it is going to be.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)