Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new and would like some advice

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello ladies,

my name is Shelly.  My dh and I are think about homeschooling our son next year.  I am starting my research on curriculums but there is a lot of information out there so if you have any advice for us I would love to hear it.  The decision to homeschool is not 100% yet, but we have the rest of the school year to talk about it and decide if yes we are going to move forward with the decision. TYIA.

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bostynsmommy
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You are SO right about all the many choices on everything on homeschooling! It can be overwhelming but that's one of the great things: YOU can choose. I started homeschooling after winter break after many many prayers and discussions. I read it seemed a thousand books but the two I highly recommend you go check out or buy are The Well Trained Mind and So You're Thinking About Homeschooling. I'm positive they will help you decide if this is best for you and yours. :)

s.adams83
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM

thank you for the tip, I will check those out

Quoting Bostynsmommy:

You are SO right about all the many choices on everything on homeschooling! It can be overwhelming but that's one of the great things: YOU can choose. I started homeschooling after winter break after many many prayers and discussions. I read it seemed a thousand books but the two I highly recommend you go check out or buy are The Well Trained Mind and So You're Thinking About Homeschooling. I'm positive they will help you decide if this is best for you and yours. :)

oredeb
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

hi!! i sure hope you decide to homeschool, its very worth it!!

how old is your son? is he in school now?

heres some places to look, find out about your hs law first!

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

heres a nice place that will answer some questions!  http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/intro/galaxy.html

anymore questions just come on back and ask!!

debbie

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I am a home school workshop leader, and always tell new educators that home school is not the class room.  The following article gives information about your  State legal requirements, your children's learning style (helps save money on curriculum that does not work for the child, different methods used by home educators (links to resources and curriculum included), grade level requirements, testing sources (some states require this), and more.

How To Home School

Note: My children are now all grown, but I still home tutor, and I much prefer curriculum created by home school families (when I use curriculum)

s.adams83
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Thank you ladies for the advice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN