Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
  • 16 Replies

i plan on homeschooling my kids but i am having trouble finding if there are any certain guidelines or curriculum. i live in the state of il. plus if any one has any advice it would be helpful. i have never done this before and the only family that i know in my family that does it doesnt teach them anything. plus where is a great place to get textbooks and work books and other books for a good or cheap price and which are better to go with.

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I know in OH you have to go through you school district...Every state varies .. Um but you can prolly look up the guidlines online (?) or contact your local office .. That's what my mom did .. She's been homeschooling for 8+years i do believe ... something like that .. And for OH they just require that you have your child evaluated at the end of each "year" by a state tested teacher .. and then for highschool you can have them tested, Mom does the CAT testing, which is the Cali Achievement Test . And then of course there is the ACT . 

As for Curriculum, my mom likes Bob JOnes or Alpha and Omega for the older kids..and we have a few local teacher stores that mom buys stuff for the smaller kids and extra stuff for them to do :) But you can go online, it just depends on if your wanted a christian curriculam or what .. There are soo many out there . :)  Horizon, McGrawHill, Saxton .. You can mix and match tooo .. :) 

IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM

OH and as for buying, mom always went online .. there is also a few websites that are AMAZING...ABCTEACH is one, mom LOVES it! :) IT's better if you have a membership . Which is actually pretty cheap and you have unlimited access to the stuff.  Perfect for spelling words and K-5, stuff like that . :) I hope your able to find everything your wanting. :) Homeschooling is an amazing choice .. :) I graduated from it . .and I hope to talk DH into letting me homeschool our son :) 

serenity062011
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

well we prefer something that isnt religious just because we dont want to force any sort of religion on our children cause we want then to be able to choose for themselves. and i have always wanted to homeschool my kids and was homeschooled a couple of times myself.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

I know in OH you have to go through you school district...Every state varies .. Um but you can prolly look up the guidlines online (?) or contact your local office .. That's what my mom did .. She's been homeschooling for 8+years i do believe ... something like that .. And for OH they just require that you have your child evaluated at the end of each "year" by a state tested teacher .. and then for highschool you can have them tested, Mom does the CAT testing, which is the Cali Achievement Test . And then of course there is the ACT . 

As for Curriculum, my mom likes Bob JOnes or Alpha and Omega for the older kids..and we have a few local teacher stores that mom buys stuff for the smaller kids and extra stuff for them to do :) But you can go online, it just depends on if your wanted a christian curriculam or what .. There are soo many out there . :)  Horizon, McGrawHill, Saxton .. You can mix and match tooo .. :) 

IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I totally understand .. I just didnt know if there was a religious aspect you were going for .. Alpha and Omega is more religious .. um , meaning it doesnt teach revolution .. that's about the only thing .. and Bob Jones is religious based, but very LOOSELY .. it's nothing crammed down your throat .. Just it doesnt teach revolution .. um, It may have a few quotes or references to the Bible (not many at all) but that's about it .. Anymore tho, I mean it's either christian or athiest .. So i mean, you can look around . (not trying to be judgemental so i hope it doesnt come out like that!) but i would say, probably Bob Jones .. You can just go to ( i think ) bobjones.com and look at what they offer :) or mcgrahill . saxton does math , they have really good math stuff .. or Amazon .. Now if you just want to go by subject, and not a complete set for everything, go look around . :) just search by subject and do a mix match .. as long as you are happy with what your children are learning, that's all that matters! 

Quoting serenity062011:

well we prefer something that isnt religious just because we dont want to force any sort of religion on our children cause we want then to be able to choose for themselves. and i have always wanted to homeschool my kids and was homeschooled a couple of times myself.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

serenity062011
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

ok thx

Quoting IansMommy2012:

I totally understand .. I just didnt know if there was a religious aspect you were going for .. Alpha and Omega is more religious .. um , meaning it doesnt teach revolution .. that's about the only thing .. and Bob Jones is religious based, but very LOOSELY .. it's nothing crammed down your throat .. Just it doesnt teach revolution .. um, It may have a few quotes or references to the Bible (not many at all) but that's about it .. Anymore tho, I mean it's either christian or athiest .. So i mean, you can look around . (not trying to be judgemental so i hope it doesnt come out like that!) but i would say, probably Bob Jones .. You can just go to ( i think ) bobjones.com and look at what they offer :) or mcgrahill . saxton does math , they have really good math stuff .. or Amazon .. Now if you just want to go by subject, and not a complete set for everything, go look around . :) just search by subject and do a mix match .. as long as you are happy with what your children are learning, that's all that matters! 

Quoting serenity062011:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

your welcome. :) If you have any more questions and want more detailed answers, (cause i know mine are kinda sketchy) I can always ask my mom. :) I know she would be more than happy to answer what she can . :) OH and one more thing, look for homeschool groups and places that offer discounts to homeschooled kids. :) i.e. the zoo , cosi, ext offer homeschool days :) just for homeschooled children. :) so that's deff something to look into!

Quoting serenity062011:

ok thx

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Quoting serenity062011:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

JeniNicole83
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I looked up what my state teaches for the grade I was teaching my son. I think I've looked at it twice and have not followed it one bit. In the state of Oklahoma you don't even have to report hours or test.

As far as what to use, everyone has their own preference. I hit a kids consignment sale here in Arkansas and was able to get 2 3rd grade and 2 4th grade workbooks that have never been used for $8. I went to Hastings and bought The Complete Book of US History for Grades 3-5 and we use that as well. We'll start science in April after we do our "spring break" and learn about tornados since we are in tornado season here. A few months ago we did some science and I had science shows recorded I had him watching. I found spelling words online and I did a grade ahead and used the academic words so he had to work on them more. I use the internet a lot. I prefer cheap or free on workbooks or activities.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

First you need to decide on your approach/method. Doing so will narrow down the field considerably. There is no shortage of curriculum out there.

Much of your decision also rests with your religious views - if any. Most of the homeschool curriuclums are protestant, you have *some* Catholic, and even less secular.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

oredeb
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

look up your state law here http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

how old are your kids?

serenity062011
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

well my oldest is about to turn two in a few days and my youngest is 8 months old. and i just like to get stuff ready and get research in before it fully comes to time and I am about to start preschooling my oldest.

Quoting oredeb:

look up your state law here http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

how old are your kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)