Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i plan on homeschooling my kids but i am having trouble finding if there are any certain guidelines or curriculum. i live in the state of il. plus if any one has any advice it would be helpful. i have never done this before and the only family that i know in my family that does it doesnt teach them anything. plus where is a great place to get textbooks and work books and other books for a good or cheap price and which are better to go with.

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-16):
oredeb
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

oh great doing all the research before the time!! good idea!! and you know you dont even have to do preschool!

Quoting serenity062011:

well my oldest is about to turn two in a few days and my youngest is 8 months old. and i just like to get stuff ready and get research in before it fully comes to time and I am about to start preschooling my oldest.

Quoting oredeb:

look up your state law here http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

how old are your kids?

serenity062011
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I figured it might help get things started. what age do people normally start kindergarten? age 5?

Quoting oredeb:

oh great doing all the research before the time!! good idea!! and you know you dont even have to do preschool!

Quoting serenity062011:

well my oldest is about to turn two in a few days and my youngest is 8 months old. and i just like to get stuff ready and get research in before it fully comes to time and I am about to start preschooling my oldest.

Quoting oredeb:

look up your state law here http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

how old are your kids?

oredeb
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

i think most people do start k at 5, i didnt, i started the kids at differnt ages, depending on what they were ready for

Quoting serenity062011:

I figured it might help get things started. what age do people normally start kindergarten? age 5?

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting serenity062011:

Quoting oredeb:

how old are your kids?

serenity062011
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

ok great thanks. you have really helped alot

Quoting oredeb:

i think most people do start k at 5, i didnt, i started the kids at differnt ages, depending on what they were ready for

Quoting serenity062011:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting serenity062011:

Quoting oredeb:

how old are your kids?

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I always tell new parents that home school is not the class room.  The following article will help you with your State laws, different methods used by home educators (with links to resources and curriculum...note: I prefer curriculum created by home school families because it works better, your children's learning styles (helps you save money by not purchasing curriculum not designed for your children), testing resources (some states require this), grade level requirements, and more>

How To Home School

Young children learn best with real life experiences, and play, so most of your curriculum you create with everyday experiences...a trip to the grocery store can teach math, reading, and weighing. When I do pick a curriculum, I choose according to my children's learning styles, and my personal abilities.

serenity062011
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

thank you so much. and i was thinking of doing things like trips to zoos and art musiums and things like that.

Quoting romacox:

As a home school workshop leader, I always tell new parents that home school is not the class room.  The following article will help you with your State laws, different methods used by home educators (with links to resources and curriculum...note: I prefer curriculum created by home school families because it works better, your children's learning styles (helps you save money by not purchasing curriculum not designed for your children), testing resources (some states require this), grade level requirements, and more>

How To Home School

Young children learn best with real life experiences, and play, so most of your curriculum you create with everyday experiences...a trip to the grocery store can teach math, reading, and weighing. When I do pick a curriculum, I choose according to my children's learning styles, and my personal abilities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN