Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The new youngest National Spelling Bee contestant is a 6 yo HomeSchooled girl...cheating or fairplay?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 44 Replies

from Yahoo:

Virginia girl, 6, youngest ever in U.S. spelling bee

• 23 photos - Mon, Dec 12, 2011

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 6-year-old U.S. girl will become the youngest contestant ever in the Scripps National Spelling Bee after winning a regional competition in Virginia.

Lori Anne Madison, of Woodbridge, Virginia, won the Prince William County spelling contest earlier this month, beating out 21 top elementary and middle school competitors. Her winning word: "vaquero," a word of Spanish origin meaning cowboy.

"My parents quiz me. I read lists and I have a really good memory," Madison, who is home-schooled, told Fox's WTTG-TV, a Washington-area station.

Madison was believed to be the youngest competitor ever, the Cincinnati-based National Spelling Bee said on Tuesday. Based on incomplete records, the previous youngest contestant was 8, it said.

The spelling contest has been held annually since 1925. This year's event will be May 29 to June 1 in Washington, with 277 participants from the United States, U.S. territories and other countries.

Madison will be sponsored by the News & Messenger newspaper of Manassas, Virginia.

(Reporting By Ian Simpson; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Philip Barbara)

Do you think public school kids are out of luck when it comes to these types of contests? A homeschooler does have a lot more time to study than a public schooler.

by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

its a gift! fair !

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

But what if there are equally gifted  PS students? Isn't unfair to them to compete against a child that can focus as much time as she wants to lists?

Quoting oredeb:

its a gift! fair !

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this

How do you figure that homeschooled kids get more time to study?  Anyone can make time if it's important, not just homeschoolers.

I went to public school and if it was important to me I would be carrying around lists, studying in spare time, before and after school. 

Christine0813
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I think it's fair.

Angela_O
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is fair. I was on the spelling team when I was in 8th grade and I studied whenever I had time. The only way a home schooler truly has more time is if they aren't studying anything else imo.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Because they can adjust her schooling the way a PSer can't. A public student HAS to go to school for 5 days a week, 6-8 hours a day. That is nonnegotiable. Getting home at four, doing homework, eat dinner and then bath and bed, that is the life of a PS student, even at that age. There isn't a lot of extra time to say, spend three hours reciting spelling words. 8) There are only so many hours in a day.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

How do you figure that homeschooled kids get more time to study?  Anyone can make time if it's important, not just homeschoolers.

I went to public school and if it was important to me I would be carrying around lists, studying in spare time, before and after school. 

Greekmama21
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It's each parents choice how they want to school their child. Not only that, they choose how they want to spend their time. 

Quoting mem82:

But what if there are equally gifted  PS students? Isn't unfair to them to compete against a child that can focus as much time as she wants to lists?

Quoting oredeb:

its a gift! fair !

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

dont forget bathroom time!

Quoting mem82:

Because they can adjust her schooling the way a PSer can't. A public student HAS to go to school for 5 days a week, 6-8 hours a day. That is nonnegotiable. Getting home at four, doing homework, eat dinner and then bath and bed, that is the life of a PS student, even at that age. There isn't a lot of extra time to say, spend three hours reciting spelling words. 8) There are only so many hours in a day.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I get it....I  just think thre is plenty of time, between subjects, when you finish your math for example and are waiting for the clas to catch up, to study that if they WANTED to, a PS kid could spend as much time on it as a homeschooler.

I doubt that is ALL the HS Schild is doing all day.

juju40
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

PS kids are just as smart.... it just depends how the student applies him or herself...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)