Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The new youngest National Spelling Bee contestant is a 6 yo HomeSchooled girl...cheating or fairplay?

Posted by   + Show Post

from Yahoo:

Virginia girl, 6, youngest ever in U.S. spelling bee

• 23 photos - Mon, Dec 12, 2011

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 6-year-old U.S. girl will become the youngest contestant ever in the Scripps National Spelling Bee after winning a regional competition in Virginia.

Lori Anne Madison, of Woodbridge, Virginia, won the Prince William County spelling contest earlier this month, beating out 21 top elementary and middle school competitors. Her winning word: "vaquero," a word of Spanish origin meaning cowboy.

"My parents quiz me. I read lists and I have a really good memory," Madison, who is home-schooled, told Fox's WTTG-TV, a Washington-area station.

Madison was believed to be the youngest competitor ever, the Cincinnati-based National Spelling Bee said on Tuesday. Based on incomplete records, the previous youngest contestant was 8, it said.

The spelling contest has been held annually since 1925. This year's event will be May 29 to June 1 in Washington, with 277 participants from the United States, U.S. territories and other countries.

Madison will be sponsored by the News & Messenger newspaper of Manassas, Virginia.

(Reporting By Ian Simpson; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Philip Barbara)

Do you think public school kids are out of luck when it comes to these types of contests? A homeschooler does have a lot more time to study than a public schooler.

by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Replies (41-44):
serenity062011
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM

i say fair

awilliams77
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Oh yes, I was homeschooled in 1985 and wasn't allowed to ride my bike in the neighborhood until 3pm!
Ruth372
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Based on my HS of 3 grades (Pre-K, First and Third), I don't think there is anything unfair about this.  We don't have much time in our day for extras.  It takes a lot of discipline to learn those lists, whether you are in PS or HS.  I think most of those kids are gifted hard workers.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

ps kids can have just as much time to study. when i was in school & there was a spelling bee you got time just to study the words. the spelling bee kids got special treatment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN