Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you turn your child in if they committed a crime?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM
  • 13 Replies

Father Turns Son in After Catching Him Stealing -- on the News!

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on March 13, 2012 

shoplifting signIt's happened to the best of us. At some point or another, we've all been caught doing something we shouldn't. The difference between us and Jeremy Blair, though, is usually the bad thing we're doing isn't caught on tape. And broadcast on the news. Where our father sees it. And has us turn ourselves in to the police.

Okay, here’s what happened: Jeremy Blair, 26, and his dad were sitting around watching TV like fathers and sons do, when all of a sudden – Hey, there’s Jeremy’s face on the news! Hey, there’s Jeremy ... stealing a $6,500 worth of stuff from a computer store ... and doing $2,500 of damage ... The hell, Jeremy ...

The newscast was showing a surveillance video of Jeremy and a friend ransacking Starwest Computers, a local store in their Utah town. When Jeremy's father realized that one of the suspects was, in fact, his son, he did what any good dad would do -- he advised his kid to turn himself in. It took a little persuading, but eventually Jeremy agreed, and his father drove him down to the station where he surrendered. Detective Adam Osoro said, "This case is very unique for a father to recognize that his son has a problem. It's a hard thing to do, but I think ultimately it's the best thing for the son and I think the father sees that." Couldn't have said it better myself.

This dad definitely made the right decision, encouraging his son to turn himself in. He set a good example. Acted like a fine citizen. I'm sure it wasn't the easiest of choices -- and, man, what a weird way to find out -- but he should be proud. Good job, pops.

Would you turn your child in if they committed a crime?

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wanderingwolf
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Yes.  Isn't that the responsible thing to do?  Why would you risk being arrested for hiding a fugitive even if it's your kid or spouse or sibling or even your parents?

Kathryn33
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Yes

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd talk to him and have him turn himself in! and if he didnt i'd turn him in and tell him. 

if they were a little kid and stold from the store, i'd tell the store manager so that it would be made a big deal about and scare the child and have the child give back what he stold and work for the guy for a few weekends just for doing it.

i always say nip it in the bud before it starts!!! (old saying) maybe some of your moms use to say it!hahahahah

snowangel1979
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yes. First I would ask him to turn him/her seft in and if they refused, Then yes I would have the police come get them.

I don't think hiding the fact they did something wrong would benefit them in anyway. I would rather them learn from something the first time instead of making excuses or hiding them and them turn onto life long criminals.

Honestly I think jail would be easier, then what would be happening at home if they didn't go to jail.

I also I'm not one of those parents that would bail my child out of jail quick. If they did the crime they can do the time.

The only exception I can think of is like if they say a girl/women being bet up. If they stepped up and ended up having to fight. Then got arrested. If it was something like that  I would be there in a heart beat with the best lawyer in town.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I would turn him in in a heart beat! Especially since we are talking about an adult. I want my kids to understand their place in society, not learn mom will forgive them anything. I'll help them w/ restitution, but they will not be allowed to get away with any crime. The same would be true for leaving the scene of an accident, slacking on child support, or murder.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I'd turn them in after I beat their butt. LOL I know that isn't the PC answer, but there you have it. 8)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM
When I was in Jr. High, I had a hard time adjusting to an HUGE inner city public scohool (200+ per grade) after going to a small (less than wp per grade) private school and thought I could buy my friends by shoplifting and giving them things.

After several times, the guilt was unbearable and I turned myself in to my parents. I can't say how lucky I was that I wasn't caught at the store...

My mom called the store, told them what happened and guaranteed I wouldn't be arrested. She made me ask for the manager, explain what I did and return what I had left and give them another $40 (estimated) to cover what I had given away. I was totally humiliated and embarassed.

They took me into the security room, put handcuffs on me, showed me all the pics (they covered every wall) of the people they had arrested. They said it was amazing I was so successful..lol now...then I wwas uncuffed and they asked me to show how I did it.

I was grounded for WEEKS and had to work off the $40 in chores. I never did it again.

So, yes, if they caught my kid and it made the news, I would turn them in. If they came forward on their own and were honest, I would do EXACTLY what my Mom did.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

hahahah i can see mom out there paddling adult childs butt!!hahahaha

Quoting mem82:hahahaha

I'd turn them in after I beat their butt. LOL I know that isn't the PC answer, but there you have it. 8)

Anna92464
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

For me, it would depend on the crime and the circumstances.  If my child was guilty of a violent crime, then yes.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Yes, I have taught them right from wrong, that there are consequences to the actions they choose to make, and they should whether good or bad own up to the choices they have made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)