Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you turn your child in if they committed a crime?

Posted by   + Show Post

Father Turns Son in After Catching Him Stealing -- on the News!

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on March 13, 2012 

shoplifting signIt's happened to the best of us. At some point or another, we've all been caught doing something we shouldn't. The difference between us and Jeremy Blair, though, is usually the bad thing we're doing isn't caught on tape. And broadcast on the news. Where our father sees it. And has us turn ourselves in to the police.

Okay, here’s what happened: Jeremy Blair, 26, and his dad were sitting around watching TV like fathers and sons do, when all of a sudden – Hey, there’s Jeremy’s face on the news! Hey, there’s Jeremy ... stealing a $6,500 worth of stuff from a computer store ... and doing $2,500 of damage ... The hell, Jeremy ...

The newscast was showing a surveillance video of Jeremy and a friend ransacking Starwest Computers, a local store in their Utah town. When Jeremy's father realized that one of the suspects was, in fact, his son, he did what any good dad would do -- he advised his kid to turn himself in. It took a little persuading, but eventually Jeremy agreed, and his father drove him down to the station where he surrendered. Detective Adam Osoro said, "This case is very unique for a father to recognize that his son has a problem. It's a hard thing to do, but I think ultimately it's the best thing for the son and I think the father sees that." Couldn't have said it better myself.

This dad definitely made the right decision, encouraging his son to turn himself in. He set a good example. Acted like a fine citizen. I'm sure it wasn't the easiest of choices -- and, man, what a weird way to find out -- but he should be proud. Good job, pops.

Would you turn your child in if they committed a crime?

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Replies (11-13):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Yes I would.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I would. I've been a first hand witness to someone getting by with everything, and they didn't learn until they finally had to serve time. Unfortunately one was my brother, the other my nephew. They stole from my parents, thousands and thousands of dollars, plus thousands in items they pawned/sold. My parents never did a damn thing, so they never stopped. My brother is a partially recovering addict, my nephew - I do not think he has learned his lesson yet. My parents reprimanded me severely for everything I did, and I know better. I have no idea why it was different for them. (my nephew is like a brother, he lived with us from the time he was 4 months old. He is 22 now)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvilQueenMommy
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I'd try to convince him to turn himself in, but would not force him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN