Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Classical Conversation

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone heard of this group?

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

http://www.classicalconversations.com/

its a christian group of homeschoolers, i think they teach with the classical method in mind

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Yes, there are several groups where I am at. I know they do Latin and stuff. Lots and lots of memorization of facts.

Missie does her yearly testing with a group of them. 8)

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

We went to their open house about a week ago. We use a similar type of curriculum. My girls liked it but wow the $$$$ is serious. Wanted to see if anyone is apart of it or was.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It is a ton of cash!

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting mem82:

It is a ton of cash!

It would be almost $900 bucks !!! I am crazy . I am thinking how I could come up with the funds. The homeschooling groups here in Vegas are OK but to be with a group of like minded would be so nice.

ma2calebzoeyeli
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

We are looking at doing it in Hawaii.  I have heard some really great things about it.  It is a good chunk of money though (I have 3) and you still have to buy some other curriculum stuff to flesh out what you do there.  You can tutor with them and make enough to cover most of the cost from what I have heard. I don't want to be a tutor though.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM
This is what I have heard. I don't know what all they do, but I can homeschool on my own for far less. Is it like a private school for homeschoolers?

Quoting mem82:

It is a ton of cash!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easytolove
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

We use CC at home and I tutor for a Foundations class too. The goal is to use the saying "kids are like spunges" literely and soak them with as much material as possible. We use songs, hand motions and a variety of games to memorize facts that they will need to use as they get older. Every cycle of CC they memorize skip counting which no child would not benift knowing as early as possible, so when they get to multiplication/division they are not spending their time memorizing their facts just doing the work. We memorize a timeline from Creation to Mondern America so when they start learning about the Civil War indepth they will have an idea where that fell in history. We learn Latin because it will help their understanding of the English language and other subjects as they get older. The money is a factor but you can do CC on your own at home along with a differernt curriculum. There is nothing in CC that you are memeorizing that you don't have to know at some point in your education, so why not memorize it now. Save your child the work of having to memorize facts while trying to figure out what they are learning later.

I blog at http://www.thesierrahomecompanion.com for more information.

easytolove
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

http://www.halfahundredacrewood.com/p/classical-conversations.html

She has the best blog of recources for CC that I have found.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)