Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finding a church

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm wanting to start going to church again; there are so many different churches in my town, different denominations, Lutheran, episcopal, Methodist, baptist, catholic, assembly of God, Nazarene, and many more, I don't really know where to start, I know there are differences in the denominations but not a lot about them. Do you just pick one and go and keep trying until you find one you like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Well, I'm United Methodist and we tend to be more upbeat with sermons that include cute stories about' a man walking down the road'. LOL UMC doesn't do a lot of fire and brimstone. 8)

bttrflyvld
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I think you have to start somewhere.  It depends on what you believe in.  We are LDS and believe in Christ and his teachings.  As LDS we are conservative in that fact that we don't smoke, drink or use drugs.  We believe in being modest and treating other with kindness.  I have many friends with other faiths than I. Though I strongly believe in LDS beliefs I do believe it's import to find faith and be the best person you can be.  If you not sure where to start you could talk to those you know with other faiths and see what they believe in and teach. I'd suggest reading James 1:5 and pray about it.  You'll get your answer. 

Good luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Religion is a very personal thing & you need to pick a church that fits you & how you feel about it. I would learn a little about all the different churches from people around you that attend them & then start trying them out until you find one that feels right for you.

LadyJaneof3
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

all the OP have said what I was thinking.  The only other thing is maybe a non-denominational christian church? 

PeaceLove26
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Thanks for the advice! I just realized I posted this in the wrong group though, (I meant to post in the Christian group) sorry! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM

hahahahahahah

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

LOL

RatherBeReading
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would see if they have websites and explain their beliefs and teachings, and what "extras" they offer, such as women's classes, youth groups, outreach programs etc. That might help to narrow it down a bit. We were very blessed in finding our church. My husband's co-worker invited us to their church and we gave it a try and immediately felt at home.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

i got baptised in a non denominational Church of Christ...very good on teaching Bible

Quoting LadyJaneof3:

all the OP have said what I was thinking.  The only other thing is maybe a non-denominational christian church? 

kittyfaery
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM
This is what I did, though I knew I wanted to find a Methodist church. I checked out the websites first. I went to one that is a little further from my house but it had a group specifically for parents.

Quoting RatherBeReading:

I would see if they have websites and explain their beliefs and teachings, and what "extras" they offer, such as women's classes, youth groups, outreach programs etc. That might help to narrow it down a bit. We were very blessed in finding our church. My husband's co-worker invited us to their church and we gave it a try and immediately felt at home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN