Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling lists- yay oy nay? ;)

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 25 Replies

Why we are on the subject, do you 'do' spelling tests?

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM
I do, but they aren't high pressure. If she gets the words right, we take them off the list. If she misses them, they stay on another week. I just keep her at 10-15 words per week depending on the difficulty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I am going to do spelling tests once a week probably starting around first grade or so.

bmw29
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We use soaring with spelling and vocabulary. He has a pre-test on monday, practice pages T-Th and then a test on friday. If he scores a 100% on the pre-test he doesn't do spelling that week. If he misses any on friday they are carry-over words the next week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM
I don't yet, but I will! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyluke2007
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

We do.  And I have a word list that he has to go through everyday.  He also had to know the meaning of his third grade words.

wowguildmomma
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM

We do like bmw29 does. They love thier spelling work.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
We have an iPad app where I put her spelling words in, and it asks her them, she uses the tiles to spell them. So I guess we do. Lol! We use the lists from all about spelling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmed
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I do, but they aren't high pressure. If she gets the words right, we take them off the list. If she misses them, they stay on another week. I just keep her at 10-15 words per week depending on the difficulty.

I do the same thing, Jinx.  I just add them to the next week if it's missed.  My 4th grader is an excellent speller but my 6th grader really struggles so I have them do the same list, which I construct.  I actually use any words that I see them misspelling in their writing (which is hardly ever w/ the 4th grader) and I use words that I see adults commonly misspelling.  They get their words on Monday & have a few exercises w/ them during the week, then a pre-test on their whiteboards on Thursday & a real spelling test on Friday.  It's working well so far.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Once phonics is learned, I  teach prefixes, suffixes, root words and word families.  It not only teaches spelling, but also improves their ability to decode large words, and teaches vocabulary as well...easy way to cover several subjects at once. 

My Child Knows Phonics, Now What

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

not yet but we will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)