Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did your kids start out in public school?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM
  • 24 Replies
If so, at what point did you pull them out? Was there one or two particular reasons?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awilliams77
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Nope, my kids have never been to public school. Homeschooled right through highschool!
home_teachin
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM

It took me one semester of Kindergarten to realize I would homeschool him through High School. He's 14 now.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM
My two boys started in PS. I pulled them out at the same time, the end of their 3rd and 2nd grade years.

The short version is that DS2 has an unspecified learning disability and ADHD. I worked with him 1 - 2 hours every night at home to keep himat grade level. Because I was doing this, he scored too high on the evaluations to receive assistance of any kind. They refused to help him until he was the equivalent of 2 grade levels behind. I refused to let that happen.

When I told DS1 I was homeschooling his brother, he begged to try it too. I knew he had been beat up on the bus once...he never told me it hppened 3 other times and once in the bathroom at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RatherBeReading
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

My oldest did K-2nd and middle DD did PreK-1st. The main reason we started thinking about it was when middle DD's teacher sent notes home and there were grammatical or spelling errors in every single one. It bugged me. We were also annoyed with the school in general because we would not find out about assemblies or school activities until just a couple days before, and then my husband would miss out because he would have to work, or we would both miss out because we had not planned extra gas into the budget for me to take him to work that day. They were both ahead in reading, and bored with having to do so many things they already knew. The first couple years, my oldest was sent to higher grades to do reading and math work, but with budget cuts, they stopped doing that. We also decided we wanted to incorporate Bible lessons into their schooling.

KatyCarlson
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My kids started in public/charter school. My daughter went until 5th grade,and son until 2nd.... I wish I had switched them before this, WAY before this. My daughter was bullied for the whole time, and even though there was an anti-bullying policy at all their schools (we tried three) nothing ever helped. My son was bullied and treated unkindly by the teacher as well, they would punish him for defending himself. The final straw was when my daughters teacher first would not stop the girls from bullying her, and went so far as to defend a child who made racist remarks to my daughter, and my son being bullied as well. This was our 3rd school in the space of a year. Our neighbhor told us about online schooling, K12, and we pulled them the next day. I know it's not full on homeschooling, but the amount of schooling I'm responsible to actually coordinate and instruct makes it homeschooling in my mind. I wish I had pulled them from public schools years ago!!!

Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Ours went until 5th grade. The youngest went 6wks in kinder. We pulled them out for bullying, the oldest one kept falling behind, held back a grade and was having trouble but the school would not test him fit any learning disability. When I ask they told me he was a"lazy learner". The final straw was when he was told to write about his best friend. When they read that it was God, they told him it could not be a fictional character. I realize they cannot teach religion at ps, but they should not teach that out is all made up either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My oldest went until half way thru 6TH grade & my younger 2 have never been.

My oldest has Autism & I believed that I could not teach him myself because of it! As time went on I could see the school wasn't doing a good job & they where letting him be tormented by the other kids so I decided I couldn't do any worse they they where doing & pulled him out. My only regret is that I didn't homeschool from the start with him!

Luvmykids67
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

My son started out in public school. He was there in preschool till halfway through 2nd grade. It was good in preschool and even kindergarten. First grade was sort of rough but second was a total nightmare! They were calling me everyday and telling me how horrible my child was and even telling me I was a bad parent. The teacher punished him for every little thing and even made him sit on a stool with a dunce cap on his head. They totally did not understand how to deal with a child with his disabilities. By the time we hit spring break he hated school so bad he would throw up and scream and cry about having to go and all sorts of things so I decided we were done with public school and he has been homeschooled every since. It is much better and I love it!

Luvmykids67
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from. My son also has Autism and several other issues to go with it. It is a challenge to get school done some days but so very worth it. I too wish I had never put him in public school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

My daughter was in PS, first and second. I wasn't happy with so many facets of the school and the way the children were allowed to act.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN