Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fed up and taking the homeschool plunge Help!!!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok, as of 10:30 this morning my 10 year old nephew is now being homeschooled by my family. 

We are so tired of the bullies and the great principle who blames it all on how bad the bullies home life is and we should feel sorry for him, so lets take it out on my nephew. After all a 12 year old child threatening to kill my nephew is just misunderstood and he wouldn't do anything to my nephew.  After that kid got talked to he enlisted the help of 4 or 5 other kids to constantly bully, kick and hit my nephew, with the same response the kids have a bad home life.  And no punishment to the kids.  No condoning it but you can almost see why some poor kids go off the deep end.  Sorry just had to vent. 

We are going to deschool him until right after Easter, then start his schooling back up.  Needless to say we are TERRIFIED by the prospect, but eager also.  I do have a question.  Is there a place that I can go online and test him to find out what he needs to be learning to get him through the 4th grade.  We are also thinking about using Time4learning but are not sure if we should just wing it for the rest of this year and then start him for 5th grade.

We live in Montana and have looked at what all we are required to do for him and it seems fairly easy we just don't want him to go backwards. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5BMom
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Time4Learning is not a full curriculum, IMO... just a good supplement. I would take a look at the curriculums of a few different companies and gauge where he needs to be. Most kids are not level across the subjects, in my experience. It also depends on how he learns best. A lot of companies have placement tests or samples online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImmiNan
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Homeschooled kids learn more in 1 day than 1 week in public school. They can actually concentrate without all the noise and distractions. Kids learn what we put in front of them, and they are continual learners. In our experience hands on science, cooking using math, and safe computer usage has enhanced our kids progress and knowledge. Supervised, kids can learn from a wide array of places on the Internet free of charge. I hope this encourages you. Best wishes going out to you. :)

Edit: Time4learning is great, and they are great to use in the summer. So perhaps you may want to try the 4th grade through the summer and just move right into the next grade. We did this with math and reading for our daughter, 3rd grade then, and it worked out well. Also, we used a Brain Quest Workbook, purchased from Target. There are good deals on workbooks at Amazon.com, news and used.

oredeb
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

check out k12, i think thats free in some states, or just make up your own since there isnt that much time left this year, as long as hes doing math and language arts he should be ok, he can read library books for science and history,

heres some lang art  http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

math http://www.softschools.com/grades/4th_grade/math/

also ;you can get workbooks at the books store(barnes and noble), at some office supply places, they also have lang. art books

conweis
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Mathusee has a basic math test on each grade level you can see where he is in math. I agree time4learning is a good supplement but not full curriculum. 
You can also try
freewordu.org
headoftheclass.com 
MEP math (I found it somewhat confusing)
www.kidzone.ws
www.abcya.com 

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:40 AM

TERRIEFIED is normal for anyone starting out.  We have all been there.  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Next year you will be saying, "that was not so bad at all",  and you will be helping someone else starting out.

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor,  give home school workshops, and write articles about home schooling.  Here is one that provides information about State laws, learning styles (saves lots of money on curriculum that doesn't work), testing resources, grade level requirements, how to write your own lesson plans, various methods used by home educators (with resources), and more.

How To Home School (if you have not already found a home school co-op near you, be sure to contact your State home school association to find one.  Having home school friends will help tremendously---see article)

Thought you might relate to this home school mom

group hug

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM
I agree w/ the others. T4L isn't a full curriculum since it doesn't do much for experiments, writing, etc. you can find lists of expectations for each grade. But honestly, i dont test my kids. We don't move on from a subject until they have & demonstrate mastery....so testing is redundant.

I'd recommend that for the rest of this year, you allow him to take some ownership of his education. Let him pick a topic he is interested in and have him put together a presentation....cartooning, computer animation, Ancient Rome, whatever. These child led projects will give you an idea of what type of learner he is, and what type of teacher you will be. And there is nopressure with it...it doesn't SEEM like school...
Danielle163
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Read Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp. This book will give you guidelines as to what you should be teaching in each grade, great book titles, tips, etc. Singapore math is excellent, stressing critical thinking skills and mental math. Their site has a placement test. Just type in Singapore math.com. I think you can buy it cheaper over @ Rainbow Resource Center. They have over 40,000 different homeschool items. Orders over $150.00 ship for free. They have EXCELLENT customer service. They have VERY reasonably priced workbooks. If your library sucks in your town/city, Amazon is where I get all of my books used, some for as low as $4.00 (includes shipping).

My DD was removed from ps due to bullying. Good luck to your nephew.

Oh, I forgot....Khan Academy is a very cool site to help with math. Totally free. Tons of videos to watch on different concepts. The guy explains everything in detail.

cjsgourmet
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I just started my daughter last week with Connections Academy.  Not sure if they are in your state, but the sign up was super easy all we needed to get her enrolled from the public school was her ohio state proficiency testings and her most recent report cards.  They then review the state testings and can get an idea where she falls since they do have an excellereated class for those who gifted.  I like it because I don't have to come up with my own curriculum.  I do have a friend who does her own curriculum, but then I believe that it needs to be submitted to the public schools superintendent to make sure that it meets all the standards.  I have found it very scary to start, but I did online schooling for my degree and loved it, but I am more into it in a classroom, since its been 20 years since I sat in a classroom.  My daughter is loving it.  They do live sessions where they meet in a virtual classroom and have headphones and microphones and the teacher goes over the weeks stuff and they can chat and ask questions. 

I have seen a total change in my soon to be 12 year old.  She used to be soo withdrawn from us afterschool and crabby.  This was her decision to be homeschooled and I praise God for helping her with this decision.  She hated all the drama at school and I think that she seen her grades slipping since she could not concentrate on what she needed to be learning.  Not to mention that the school is not 100% up to date as to where we feel they should be due to levys failing all the time.  She has soo many great tools from Connections.  They provided her with the computer since we needed it, books, learning tools, science kit, math kit, we as parents get the teachers key for all her workbooks etc.  So the work she completes we can check over and make sure that she is comprehending what she is learning.  I am soo glad we picked this school.  We did have her enrolled in our public schools on-line version and 100% of everything is online.  She did not get any books and there is no live sessions, once they completed the 36 sessions of each subject they were done for the year.  This program was put in place to keep homeschoolers enrolled into the school system so they could keep the dollars and not lose money from the state.  They did not even have Art which Connections does and send you an Art kit. 

I wish you the best of luck!!! Stick with it and choose what will best fit your nephew and you as a teacher.  You will be surprised how quickly things will improve.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You can do this, my only advise is I would reconsider deschooling for much longer then a few weeks.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! He won't be missing much because this time of year. They aren't learning new things, just reviewing for end of year testing. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN