Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fed up and taking the homeschool plunge Help!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, as of 10:30 this morning my 10 year old nephew is now being homeschooled by my family. 

We are so tired of the bullies and the great principle who blames it all on how bad the bullies home life is and we should feel sorry for him, so lets take it out on my nephew. After all a 12 year old child threatening to kill my nephew is just misunderstood and he wouldn't do anything to my nephew.  After that kid got talked to he enlisted the help of 4 or 5 other kids to constantly bully, kick and hit my nephew, with the same response the kids have a bad home life.  And no punishment to the kids.  No condoning it but you can almost see why some poor kids go off the deep end.  Sorry just had to vent. 

We are going to deschool him until right after Easter, then start his schooling back up.  Needless to say we are TERRIFIED by the prospect, but eager also.  I do have a question.  Is there a place that I can go online and test him to find out what he needs to be learning to get him through the 4th grade.  We are also thinking about using Time4learning but are not sure if we should just wing it for the rest of this year and then start him for 5th grade.

We live in Montana and have looked at what all we are required to do for him and it seems fairly easy we just don't want him to go backwards. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Replies (11-17):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

check this site out for an option

http://www.freeworldu.org/static/index.aspx

We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit online school offering our students a complete preschool through 12th grade curriculum. Our proven program is supported by research that shows that children can learn faster and enjoy learning more using our methods. The curriculum is taught via flashcards that break subjects down into small, easily assimilated fact units. The flashcards are presented through a program that remembers what each student has learned and what he or she needs to keep working on.

There is no charge for using our program; we offer it free to all who wish to use it.
Our accredited school, with low monthly tuition, adds exams, progress reports, transcripts, certificates of completion, diplomas and other features to our flashcard program.

We invite you to explore our website using the main menu above. The information outlined below will help you get started and explain more about the program.

donnakw
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice.  We are slowly getting everything together, and are feeling better about homeschooling.  We did find out that Montana lets you do pretty much what you want as long as you put in a certain amount of hours. 

So Thanks again for the help.

WinterWitch1972
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I will be using K12 with my kids in 2012-2013 school year. It's Free in Texas and it's an online Public school.

Quoting oredeb:

check out k12, i think thats free in some states, or just make up your own since there isnt that much time left this year, as long as hes doing math and language arts he should be ok, he can read library books for science and history,

heres some lang art  http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

math http://www.softschools.com/grades/4th_grade/math/

also ;you can get workbooks at the books store(barnes and noble), at some office supply places, they also have lang. art books

melissaoliver79
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

romacox,

please dont think i am weird when i say this but the video made me cry because it made me relize i survied much tougher things then being afraid to homeschool and that i can do it.. thanks.. ( sorry i been through alot and been a querving mess lately)

Quoting romacox:

TERRIEFIED is normal for anyone starting out.  We have all been there.  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Next year you will be saying, "that was not so bad at all",  and you will be helping someone else starting out.

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor,  give home school workshops, and write articles about home schooling.  Here is one that provides information about State laws, learning styles (saves lots of money on curriculum that doesn't work), testing resources, grade level requirements, how to write your own lesson plans, various methods used by home educators (with resources), and more.

How To Home School (if you have not already found a home school co-op near you, be sure to contact your State home school association to find one.  Having home school friends will help tremendously---see article)

Thought you might relate to this home school mom

group hug

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Hey,  isn't that what girls do...cry?  You are not weird at all.

Quoting melissaoliver79:

romacox,

please dont think i am weird when i say this but the video made me cry because it made me relize i survied much tougher things then being afraid to homeschool and that i can do it.. thanks.. ( sorry i been through alot and been a querving mess lately)

Quoting romacox:

TERRIEFIED is normal for anyone starting out.  We have all been there.  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Next year you will be saying, "that was not so bad at all",  and you will be helping someone else starting out.

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor,  give home school workshops, and write articles about home schooling.  Here is one that provides information about State laws, learning styles (saves lots of money on curriculum that doesn't work), testing resources, grade level requirements, how to write your own lesson plans, various methods used by home educators (with resources), and more.

How To Home School (if you have not already found a home school co-op near you, be sure to contact your State home school association to find one.  Having home school friends will help tremendously---see article)

Thought you might relate to this home school mom

group hug

whitepaw7
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Time 4 Learning might be a good option for you, especially since he has done most of this school year already. You have access to three year of curriculum at once as soon as you sign up, it would be a good way to see where he is at without spending a lot of time or money on curriculum. You can have him do as much or as little as you want or he can handle, and you can look through all the lessons and if you want to add something you can. It would be an easy way to start with homeschooling for both you and him. No pressure, especially with what he has been through. Poor kid, kids can really be cruel, I would have done the same thing, its even worse when you can't get help for it from the school system. I pulled my daughter out earlier in the year because of health issues, the hardest things I found  have been looking for curriculum and the grading/reporting asspects of it. We are using time4learning right now, and I wish I would have started sooner. With her health issues, she had also developed anxiety and self-esteem issues, as well as gaps in her learning because of the amout of school she missed and they did not send all of her homework home like I had asked. This year, since she has been out I have been working on filling in those gaps as well, since I started her with time4learning it has made it easier for me to go back to the grade below, work on a couple assignments and then go back to where we were. It has also helped her self esteem because she can log on and do her work without a lot of assistance. She was getting very overwelmed with having to get this book and then this one out. 

Anyway, it could give you a good idea of where he is at, you only pay for the months you use it(also has a 14 day trail period and you can change grade levels whenever you want), so you are not locked in to anything, it will give you a good idea of what type of schooling would be best for him for next year, (I am considering connections academy for her next year since she has done better withthe on line stuff), and gives you time to get it all worked out while not leaving him with to much ideal time.

Hope the best for you both!

BunnyGirl82
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

First off ((hugs)) you seem like you all need one! I agree that I would have also pulled my child out of an obviously awful school  :(

I hope you like homeschooling, it can be very rewarding and I know it's a bit scary at first, but after you get your feet wet, I know you will be eager to jump in and enjoy the swim ;)

~> Time4Learning is a great way to get started, especially if you are not sure where he is academically. It allows you to have 3 grades at once and change them as you need. We use it and have loved it 4 years now and counting :)

I hope this helps and Good Luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)