Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

scared and fustrated....

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son who is 8 is in public school as we speak for now till I get the local homeschool chapter group behind me. He has adhd,odd and depression. Hes been in psychartic hospitals and has been bullied. The school has kept him back 2 times in 2nd grade and want to do it again. I WILL NOT let that happen. I know he can do the work. He is very smart. He is just scared and has low self esteem (very low) from bulling. I been back and forth with the school.. nothing! I am scared to homeschool but I know I have to take control over my sons learning. I have another son which is 6 thats autistic. Same school district and everything but they will bend every which way for him , so there is no problems there. I myself am in college for teaching and all this I am going through with the school and what I been taking classes for is been making me think hard about switching my major. Teachers here have no say in what they teach. The learning has went way down to standards that I had to do as a child. I am scared and I know i shouldnt be because this is what I am going to college for.. I am  so unprepared for this.

by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

awww poor little guy, its best to take him out and start schooling him yourself, do you do your college at home? if not want would you do with him during the time you went to college?

look up your homeschool law to see what it says first  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

at first you can deschool him for a bit to get your self in order, and research some curriculum you want to use and ask more questions! heres some good info on how to get started and so forth  http://www.homeschooldiner.com/basics/homeschooling_basics.html

keep ask us questions!

aspen12
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Big hugs to you and your boys! I am so sorry!

I think most of us could say we were scared in the beginning, and even have moments years later. I know I was nervous. Especially worrying about his middle and high school years. My son was tested as highly gifted. I knew he would be way smarter then me. My son is just entering the high school years (we will be starting *ninth* in a couple weeks). I have had no issues. He can do a lot of the learning himself, I get to enjoy learning or re-learning things, and we can look up things together that we do not know. Homeschooling has made it so we can be very close. Not only does he respect me as his mother but we are both good friends. When he needs to talk to someone, he knows he can come to me. This is the relationship I wanted, especially now that he's in his teens.

You will find what works for you and your family. Homeschooling becomes just a part of your day, a part of your families lifestyle.

I like that we as homeschoolers can chose the curriculum and style of homeschooling that works best for our children and ourselves. No two people are alike and homeschooling as so many options. I will give you a big warning though, you will find yourself wanting to try it all. ;-)

More hugs your way.

loving, homeschool mom to one and proud daycare provider... 
The Toybox Kids
blowing bubbles

sourflower
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I don't really know what advice to give you but *hugs* for you & your son. Poor kid.
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissaoliver79
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

wow i didnt even know there was a de schooling time...i thought we had to jump right in and start the day i take him out of school..

oredeb
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Quoting melissaoliver79:

wow i didnt even know there was a de schooling time...i thought we had to jump right in and start the day i take him out of school..

You can start right up again if you want to but you don't have to , your homeschooling your in charge of what and how your son learns
You can do schooling any time you want
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am a tutor, and know exactly what you mean about teachers not being able to choose their curriculum.  They are mandated to use ineffective curriculum.  When I home tutor, I do not come under those same mandates.  but when I tutor at the schools they try to put the same restrictions on me. 

I also see many children treated like your son, and often they are hands on learners.  They are very smart, but the school curriculum is not designed for them.  It is not the children that is lacking, it is the way they re taught that is lacking. 

Here are tow articles that will help you  with your son:

How To Home School (home school is not the class room...thank goodness)

Conditions that Can Cause Or Mimic Learning Disabilities (hands on learners and more)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)