Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone had trouble with school authorities while homeschooling?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

has anyone had any troubles with the school authorities or any offical people while homeschooling or just even thinking about it?

by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5BMom
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Nope. When my ex-inlaws realize I am homeschooling, I am sure they will put CPS on speed dial!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
No, most everyone I meet in real life think it's great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sourflower
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aspen12
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Nope! I started homeschooling in VA. The area we lived in felt that homeschooled children were much better behaved then the children going to brick and mortar schools. We would get compliments all the time from complete strangers. We moved back to OH to the city I grew-up in. Homeschooling was always very hush hush here. They are still rather in the dark and need education on homeschooling but we do not have any issues. The school district is very polite and kind and gave us no problems. Once in awhile we will get a weird look from an elderly person while out in the middle of the day, but nothing more. I know the police chief, lieutenant, and many of the officers. They applaud me for what I am doing and wish more parents would step up and do it. I am often reminded by strangers that the school system is excellent. Yes, it is a very high ranked school system...but it still is a school system. I tell them politely that I am a graduate of the schools and that, yes, I agree they are great schools, but that homeschooling is even better for us. (BTW, I so wished I had known about homeschooling when I was a child. I would have bugged my parents relentlessly until they homeschooled me.)

PEEK05
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM

No, when my kids get a little older and people see that they are not going to "school", I'm sure they'll voice their opinions rather strongly about it. No one I know has ever homeschooled.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Nope, no problems. 8)

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yep, the school reported me to CPS who had to open an investigation..they also harassed me for quite a while, the school district made me paid the student fees that were waived at the begining of the year (had to take out a $75 loan to do it), and it wasnt until i put an article about it in the local paper that they stopped.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I haven't had any problems personally and the only problem I know of is more inline with the school system nto fufuling their legal obligation. A friend treid  to get the paperwork for her daughter's learner's permit last Feb. The family had moved away for about a year then moved back a few months before the daughter's 15 birthday. The department of education refused to give the the proper paperwork since they did not have a year's worth of attendance reports on file. Apparently the new person in charge is a PITA. My almost 23 yr old had no problems getting the proper paperwork for his permit, license or work permit.

I also know a couple of family who have been report to CPS for homeschooling. CPS here pretty much comes out, asks the kids if they homeschool, they talk to kids for about 5 min and close the case. There are just too many busybodies around here that believe that not attending a school building means not getting an education.

dazguti
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM
None at all- We live in the great state of Texas ;)
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The school sent us letters & they called a few times in the very beginning but I knew my rights & the law! After I educated them on how they where breaking the law & that I had the right to a lawyer dealing with them they backed off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)