Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do homeschooled kids get into college?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
I am just starting to look into home schooling. I wondered how kids who
Are homeschooled all through do at getting into good colleges. I don't want to hinder them by homeschooling. Do major universities discriminate against homeschooled kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I don't really know a lot about this, but I just found out that some of them require homeschoolers to take the GED test in order to get in- I'm not sure though.   

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this

NO, major universities are seeking out homeschoolers. 8) The way most homeschoolers teach involve the student leading the way and being in charge of getting things done. Many high school HSers, help choose their curriculum, and plan out their year as far as what they are going to do each day. The ONLY time in ones life, one is taught by age is in public school.

When these kids hit college, they haven't been prepared to function in an adult way. Professors hand you a list of what is due and when and that's it. There is no daily classroom call out. It's up to the student. HSers are much more used to the balancing act required.

There are programs that allow parents to make official transcripts, if needed. Also, HSers take the ACTs and SATs, too. 8)

I hope you choose homeschooling, it's a great life!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Not any more, honestly. That doesn't happen very much. As a matter of fact, a HSer getting a GED is kind of like saying, they weren't taught, thoroughly. I know some HSers will get one to satisfy a job requirement or to be able to work full time, under the age of 18. 8) Our kids have graduated their school.

Quoting gacgbaker:

I don't really know a lot about this, but I just found out that some of them require homeschoolers to take the GED test in order to get in- I'm not sure though.   

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally know a women that was homeschooled & is attending collage right now. Her Mom kept records & made transcripts & the women took the SAT's test. She applied to collage just like any other student would.

MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I was homeschooled I have both my diploma and my GED because I graduated early( at 16) and went straight to the University of Texas. I have never had an issue with doing anything because of being homeschooled.

itsrks
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM
3 moms liked this

All for of my children started college early. They went to the community college until they were 18 and they took time to do other leadership programs and we traveled so I think they got a well rounded high school experience.

The eldest graduated from the University of South Carolina. She is now in the master's program there. The next one is graduating from the California State University of San Francisco next month! The third one is at California State University - East Bay and will graduate next year. The youngest has almost two years of credits at the community college and is doing a year long leadership program. He is in Africa now for 6 weeks. He hasn't mentioned which college he wants to go to but did say he wants to do this program another year. We'll see what he does but he's getting a great foundation for whatever he decides to do.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

norahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Very cool :)

Quoting itsrks:

All for of my children started college early. They went to the community college until they were 18 and they took time to do other leadership programs and we traveled so I think they got a well rounded high school experience.

The eldest graduated from the University of South Carolina. She is now in the master's program there. The next one is graduating from the California State University of San Francisco next month! The third one is at California State University - East Bay and will graduate next year. The youngest has almost two years of credits at the community college and is doing a year long leadership program. He is in Africa now for 6 weeks. He hasn't mentioned which college he wants to go to but did say he wants to do this program another year. We'll see what he does but he's getting a great foundation for whatever he decides to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Depending on your state laws, you should be able to provide your child with a diploma. That's all they need. I have one daughter at USC, and one at Tech studying massage therapy. It can be done!

No GED here!

graywife
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I just attended a homeschool conference over the weekend.  One of the workshops I attended was a panel discussion of 5 homeschooled adults.  All five are either in college or college grads.  Of those five, two were completely unschooled and the other three were relaxed/eclectic homeschoolers.  A couple of the students had parent-created transcripts and two used portfolios with their college applications.  Some took the ACT/SATs and some didn't.  It was so great to hear about their different experiences and how they are thriving. 

One other point: none of them had taken the GED.  In fact, at another workshop, we heard stories about how taking the GED actually kept some students from having their applications processed.  It was recommended to call as many potential schools as you can to learn what they want (or do not want) when it comes to applications.

Donna :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)