Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do homeschooled kids get into college?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am just starting to look into home schooling. I wondered how kids who
Are homeschooled all through do at getting into good colleges. I don't want to hinder them by homeschooling. Do major universities discriminate against homeschooled kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Replies (11-14):
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Quoting mem82:

Not any more, honestly. That doesn't happen very much. As a matter of fact, a HSer getting a GED is kind of like saying, they weren't taught, thoroughly. I know some HSers will get one to satisfy a job requirement or to be able to work full time, under the age of 18. 8) Our kids have graduated their school.

Quoting gacgbaker:

I don't really know a lot about this, but I just found out that some of them require homeschoolers to take the GED test in order to get in- I'm not sure though.   

Oh that is great to know- thanks!

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM

It use to be a stigma,  but not anymore.  In fact, because home school children outperform public schooled children, colleges increasingly favor our children.  42 states offer "Dual Enrollment" which means your child can attend college free until they turn 18.  Many home school children obtain a 2 year degree before they turn 18.  Here is more on that:  Dual Enrollment.

bttrflyvld
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

My husband was home schooled and never had any problems getting into a university.  We are actually going through that right now.  Because of a family business he didn't go to college until 3 year ago.  All he had to do was take the GED.  They didn't make him take the ACT though if he'd wanted to he could have skipped a couple of math classes.  Being home schooled isn't a big deal any more.  As other has stated in other posts homeschoolers have a better chance at succeeding in college because they already know how to self teach and to be responsible for themselves. 

In classes my husband is taking, those that have come right from ps are the biggest whiners and procrastinator in the class.  They've been babied and never pushed academically.  Homeschoolers definitely have the upper hand. 

Starrynight24
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I was homeschooled and because of the way my mom did things I didn't have any transcripts, records or portfolios, but I found a college that was willing to work with me, all I had to do was take the entrance exams. It is only a two year college, but once I finish there (I took time off, and thn had kids), I should be able to transfer to a university with no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)