Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach several grades at the same time?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
My kids are 7,4,2, and 6 weeks. How would I go about teaching them at the same time in multiple grades?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Unit studies! Everyone is learning about the same thing, just on their level. Like this: Ants

Together, watch a short video from youtube on ants.

Give your 4yo and 2yo a coloring page with Ants or have your 4yo count out groups of (x) number of plastic ants.

While the littles work on that, you and your 7yo work on phonics/reading with a book on Ants. Give him a list of words to practice writing.

While the 7yo does that, check on the 4yo. Correct any mistakes and then talk about the letter A for ant. See if you can think of other words that begin with the same sound. Have an A Letter page or simple craft.

When 7yo is done, give him the ant manipulative from above to do his Math while the 4 yo does whatever.

Everyone sings a few songs about ants (Go Marching one by one) and then snack. 

The only thing left to do is Science and Social Studies. Research where different types of ants live and find the states on the map. Then, have everyone draw a picture of an Ant. The 7 yo should label his ant body with the correct names. 8)

See, just like that. IT just takes, planning and caffeine. LOL

norahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Wow, never thought of it that way. That makes sense. How many hours a day do you teach? We send our oldest to a great private school now but I don't see how we can afford to send all the kids. It would be about 9 grand for all the kids per year but we only make about 30. So that would be a problem. Dh said public is out of the question.

Quoting mem82:

Unit studies! Everyone is learning about the same thing, just on their level. Like this: Ants

Give your 4yo and 2yo a coloring page with Ants or have your 4yo count out groups of (x) number of plastic ants.

While the littles work on that, you and your 7yo work on phonics/reading with a book on Ants. Give him a list of words to practice writing.

While the 7yo does that, check on the 4yo. Correct any mistakes and then talk about the letter A for ant. See if you can think of other words that begin with the same sound. Have an A Letter page or simple craft.

When 7yo is done, give him the ant manipulative from above to do his Math while the 4 yo does whatever.

The only thing left to do is Science and Social Studies. Research where different types of ants live and find the states on the map. Then, have everyone draw a picture of an Ant. The 7 yo should label his ant body with the correct names. 8)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

i teach 5 kids(10,11,13,14,14) and what we do is everyoone has their own math and lang. arts books, they all work on them at the same time individually(they are all at a different level) for about 45 minutes

then we all do unit studies together, which includes, all the rest of the subjects, history, science, bible, reading, writing, spelling, vocab, art, music

melissaDH
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I teach my two at the same time. Son, 11 yr (5th gr) and daughter, 9 yr (3rd gr).

I get them started with reading ("Book basket time") for both, it allows me to get individual things ready.

While I have my daughter copy and write sentences with spelling, I work on Math with my son. Then when he is ready to do workbook, I move him to his own desk and pull daughter to work at the main table on math. By the time she is ready to do her math workbook, he is ready to move to his English/Language Arts. It works on a rotation with their studies.

I had to work it out and try to adhere to a set schedule...but there are days that we don't do things in the same order. I keep track of what we have done by checking it off in my lesson plan book that each of them have.

Hope this helps and gives some ideas.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Our time varies but averaged out, about 2 1/2 hours to 3. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In HSing, everything is condensed, because we just have our kids. LOL

Quoting norahsmommy:

Wow, never thought of it that way. That makes sense. How many hours a day do you teach? We send our oldest to a great private school now but I don't see how we can afford to send all the kids. It would be about 9 grand for all the kids per year but we only make about 30. So that would be a problem. Dh said public is out of the question.

Quoting mem82:

wright1212
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM

My kids cant do the unit studies (might as well say they are on different planets LOL) so we just bounce around. DD-7 has a checklist and I get her started on each new item. While she is working I do work boxes with DS-9. He does 3 boxes then short break. DD knows not to talk to us during the 3 boxes. DS-2 plays in our playroom that we also work in, I keep PBS on in the next room if he feels like watching it. This week Im going to start making him busy bags. DS-2 also jumps up and does DS-9s work boxes while ds9 is on break. Having something for everyone to do is key. Right now we are playing outside in the afternoons, as it gets hotter it will be in the AM. DD and I sometimes do hard subjects during nap, or deep cleaning. I also count everything as school time:some outside play, girl scouts, dance, ect.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I'm a "school at home" type person...Each of the kids gets a checklist on Monday that is due on Friday by 1pm. 

My oldest is 14 and works probably 95% independently. I ask him about hs work, he lets me know what he  is doing, we visit, and at the end of hte day I review things and make corrections.

DD is 3rd and advanced, while DS2 is 5th /6th and has some struggles. I start the day by doing spelling, grammar and science with the two of them each day.  Then they break off to do their reading at dfferent levels and their different math and history lessons.

In the fall, I will probably add History to the list of things we do together. I think DS and DD would both retain so much more!

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Start at the bottom and work to the top.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM

It is very much like the old one room school house.  It is really easier than trying to teach each child separately, and they learn so much from each other.  Here is an article that explains how I do it.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM

There's some good advice here. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN