Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I took my son out of school today. I will start homeschooling. I'm excited. My question to you'll is how to schedule his work load. help!
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-19):
aspen12
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Woohoo! Congratulations! Happy homeschooling to you guys. Enjoy having some down time in the next bit of time. Remember with homeschooling you can schedule things to work for you and him, and you do not have to fit things in during *normal* school hours. I am so excited for you guys!

Atenfrog
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Thank you so much.
JeniNicole83
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a whole long thing typed out and then clicked on "full reply" and it all went away! Oh well. We have jumped around with the way we do schooling. We started out with a set lesson plan. Now....not so much. Whatever written work he has he can get done in less than 2 hours. For US history we are using The Complete Book of United States History for Grades 3-5. I add DVDs and books from the library. I check the tv programming and record shows if it's related and we'll get to it within the next month. He does have spelling words and usually gets 2 days to study them before testing. If he makes a 100% he's done with spelling for the week (it's how he did it at school and I liked it). If he misses any then he retests on Friday. Science is DVDs and projects. Fun worksheets. Grammer is worksheets, or a workbook when I have them. I try not to make the written workload too much, and make it fun so he's more likely to retain the information. This is our first and maybe last year to homeschool. When I started I was only working 10 hours a week. Now I am working at least 50 hours a week between my 2 jobs and my full-time job I'm getting overtime. I am going to try virtual public school for a semester and see how it goes.  

Jjmill5
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM
How old is your child? What curriculum are u using? What kind of attention span does your child have? What rules do u have to follow where u r as far as hs'ing goes? If u have the option maybe u should just take a few weeks off and let them relax for awhile.
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Each child is unique.  Understanding their learning is a good start.  Here are two articles to help:

4 videos on the Different Learning Styles

How To Home School

Atenfrog
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Quoting romacox:

Each child is unique.  Understanding their learning is a good start.  Here are two articles to help:

4 videos on the Different Learning Styles

How To Home School

thank you
Atenfrog
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Quoting Jjmill5:

How old is your child? What curriculum are u using? What kind of attention span does your child have? What rules do u have to follow where u r as far as hs'ing goes? If u have the option maybe u should just take a few weeks off and let them relax for awhile.

he is 8 years old. I'm using lifepac. He has ADHD. I decided to start till next semester. We will be doing some reviewing but that's all. Maybe take a few field trips.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM

8)

Jjmill5
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I would take it a day at a time and see what his attention span is. Maybe u can get it done in one sitting, maybe u need to break it up
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN