Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I thought homeschooling would be set for next year :(

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

and now my hsuband is looking to move to a place and looking at the school districts to send our son to. So sad :( Hopefully he will agree to continue homeschooling next year (or longer) if we move.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I am so sorry. It is to bad your husband can't see the rewards of homeschooling.

caitlew
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That does stink...hopefully if you don't end up doing the homeschooling your son is still early elementary. I've noticed that it's better to homeschool all the way through or send them to school from the beginning. I, personally went all the way through public school and hated it. I'm looking into homeschooling my kids when it's time.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Why would he want to move?

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM
we are in a one bedroom house with three kids but our rent is affordable. We cant pay much more and he saw a place near his work that is 4 bedrooms for only $90 more. I already said no to the district we are in. So far the district in the place we are looking at I dont like. I think I am just going o stick to my guns and say only the districts I originally said. Hopefully if we move we can still homeschool.

Quoting mem82:

Why would he want to move?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aspen12
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry. Big Hugs!

I live in the school district that I grew-up in. I went to public school all the way through. It is a very high ranking school system. BUT I so, so, so, so wished I had known about homeschooling as a child. Schools are very limiting, not many children fit the style or learning they can provide. I would have had a whole different outcome on learning. I felt that learning was for a test. Everything was about dates, names, etc. Since homeschooling my son I have been able to love learning. I would have never known how history is a wonderful story, math can be fun, etc. Actually I never enjoyed reading until I was free from a school system. I can, and will, admit that, yes, the schools here are excellent...but they are still schools. My son quickly dumbed himself down in school, felt weird and different, and became very unhappy. I will always regret that I sent him to school for k and 1st (and a month of 2nd). I am thankful I discovered homeschooling. Once I pulled him, the little boy I knew came back. He is now 13. He thrives in homeschooling. He plans to homeschool his own children in the future. 

Maybe your husband could read my little story, and others, and that may ease his mind. I was definitely nervous when I started. It was so new to me, but I knew it would be best for my son.

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM

thats exactly how I feel. I was a good student, but I did not thrive in scholol like I know I would have if I was homeschooled. My husband did aweful in school. I felt the same way, it all boiled down to tests, and test only revealed what a child DOESN"T know, not what they learned. I was often discouraged and I don't want my son tto feel the same. There is nothing positive I can see in sending my son to school. I LOVE homeschooling. We are doing it this year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I hope it doesn't get taken from me!

Quoting aspen12:

I am so sorry. Big Hugs!

I live in the school district that I grew-up in. I went to public school all the way through. It is a very high ranking school system. BUT I so, so, so, so wished I had known about homeschooling as a child. Schools are very limiting, not many children fit the style or learning they can provide. I would have had a whole different outcome on learning. I felt that learning was for a test. Everything was about dates, names, etc. Since homeschooling my son I have been able to love learning. I would have never known how history is a wonderful story, math can be fun, etc. Actually I never enjoyed reading until I was free from a school system. I can, and will, admit that, yes, the schools here are excellent...but they are still schools. My son quickly dumbed himself down in school, felt weird and different, and became very unhappy. I will always regret that I sent him to school for k and 1st (and a month of 2nd). I am thankful I discovered homeschooling. Once I pulled him, the little boy I knew came back. He is now 13. He thrives in homeschooling. He plans to homeschool his own children in the future. 

Maybe your husband could read my little story, and others, and that may ease his mind. I was definitely nervous when I started. It was so new to me, but I knew it would be best for my son.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

i hope so also precious, yea thats the way to go stick to your guns!

aspen12
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I hope it doesn't get taken from me!

I hope so also! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)