Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having fun with Science! *pics added* Update in red

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

I've mentioned before, we use Science in a nutshell kits ..this one has been particularly easy and fun. What we needed this time of year! LOL It's called "Body Basics"  It has 10 different experiments...

So far we have done a depth perception test and night vision experiment, made molds of their teeth with sport mouthguards, and done an experiment on hearing with one ear vs. 2 ears.We are building models of the arm later on in the kid and I'm not sure what else... LOL

I figure if I actally write this in a post it will happen so.... Each kit is designed for 3 students. I'm only using it wit h2 of mine so I'm sending it on to Pepsi mom when we finish! LOL

Anyway ---- this one is FUN!

Today's activity was digestion - how chewing food heps digestoin and how foodmoves through the body. They took a whole sugar cube and smashed it into small bits and a whole unharmed sugar cube, put them in petri dishes, added water to seewhich broke down fastest.

Here's Heidi with her melting sugar cube and her intestines.. LOL (sorry forthe glare)

Then we took a long balloon, added a little water and stuffed a small marble in one, and a bigger marble in another. They had to muve the marble along the tube to simulate peristalsis and see which moved better.

Here are Sean's intestines...

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Good to know! I'll have to check those out.  I'm still debating on a science for next year. 

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM

That sounds like so much fun! DS is going to love it! Does it give you project ideas or do you use your google degree to find them?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

OMG- it is SO idiot proof! Even I can't screw it up! There is a student "Journal" and an "Activity guide". The activity guide has a little part you read to them for each lesson and then step by step instructions to complete the experiments. 

The only issue has been that there were a few times I wasn't sure what they were asking during the experiment or exactly what the kids needed to answer. (That has NOT been an issue with the Body Basics kit) Now, I just read the kid's book first, THEN start the experiment so I know just what they are trying to figure out.

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

That sounds like so much fun! DS is going to love it! Does it give you project ideas or do you use your google degree to find them?

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM

sounds so fun jinx!! pictures pictures !!!

aspen12
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting oredeb:

sounds so fun jinx!! pictures pictures !!!

good

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

BUMP!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Cool!

About how much do those kits run, if you don't mind me asking? Do they come with everything or do you buy stuff yourself?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I believe the kits are about $35 each. They are designed for 3 students with three journals and one activity guide. I could see this being on the expensive side if you ONLY wanted to do the kits, but they have all the petri dishes, magnifying glasses, mesuring cups, etc included.  They have on average about 99% of the materials... "common household items" are not included like vinegar, or cornstarch, masking tape, scissors, etc.

This particular kit even includes sugar cubes. The Physical and Chemical changes kit included the alka-seltzer tablets, etc.

The items with the * are NOT included..

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

love the pictues jinx!!!! fun fun fun!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM
I was just going to ask if you had to provide the materials. That is my problem, we don't have much scientific stuff. Lol so that would be perfect.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I believe the kits are about $35 each. They are designed for 3 students with three journals and one activity guide. I could see this being on the expensive side if you ONLY wanted to do the kits, but they have all the petri dishes, magnifying glasses, mesuring cups, etc included.  They have on average about 99% of the materials... "common household items" are not included like vinegar, or cornstarch, masking tape, scissors, etc.

This particular kit even includes sugar cubes. The Physical and Chemical changes kit included the alka-seltzer tablets, etc.

The items with the * are NOT included..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)