Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having fun with Science! *pics added* Update in red

I've mentioned before, we use Science in a nutshell kits ..this one has been particularly easy and fun. What we needed this time of year! LOL It's called "Body Basics"  It has 10 different experiments...

So far we have done a depth perception test and night vision experiment, made molds of their teeth with sport mouthguards, and done an experiment on hearing with one ear vs. 2 ears.We are building models of the arm later on in the kid and I'm not sure what else... LOL

I figure if I actally write this in a post it will happen so.... Each kit is designed for 3 students. I'm only using it wit h2 of mine so I'm sending it on to Pepsi mom when we finish! LOL

Anyway ---- this one is FUN!

Today's activity was digestion - how chewing food heps digestoin and how foodmoves through the body. They took a whole sugar cube and smashed it into small bits and a whole unharmed sugar cube, put them in petri dishes, added water to seewhich broke down fastest.

Here's Heidi with her melting sugar cube and her intestines.. LOL (sorry forthe glare)

Then we took a long balloon, added a little water and stuffed a small marble in one, and a bigger marble in another. They had to muve the marble along the tube to simulate peristalsis and see which moved better.

Here are Sean's intestines...

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Replies (11-13):
smc0178
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Where did you purchase the kits?  Looks like fun and we love hands on stuff.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM
www.delta-education.com

They went up a little, $40 for Body Basics. Worth it for sure!…

I break it down...$4 per experiment, divided by 2 kids (up to 3 kids) is only $2 a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smc0178
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)