Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

a lesson on potatos

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

I discovered today we had potatos, how long we've had them I have not a clue, but we have potatos and they are growing legs lol... Are there any projects we can do with the "walking" potatos before they start to smell and ooze nastiness?

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

plant them!!  All you do is cut out the eye with a little bit of potato attached, plant them in soil, and they will grow into more potatoes! 

With sweet potatoes, you can put them in a cup of water and they will grow like a plant, not sure if you can do the same for regular potatoes...

pepsi_lover_mom
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Think it could be grown in a bucket or a trash can? I cant plant anything in the ground our soil is crap. That would be so cool to grow potatos!!!

Quoting Boobah:

plant them!!  All you do is cut out the eye with a little bit of potato attached, plant them in soil, and they will grow into more potatoes! 

With sweet potatoes, you can put them in a cup of water and they will grow like a plant, not sure if you can do the same for regular potatoes...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM
I'm not sure, maybe Debbie can help. I'm pretty sure they spread out, so it would probably have to be big. We got a huge crop of potatoes last year from just the eyes of ONE potato, it was awesome :)

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

Think it could be grown in a bucket or a trash can? I cant plant anything in the ground our soil is crap. That would be so cool to grow potatos!!!

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

yes grow in a trash can, also when you cut the eye let them dry for a day and then plant! they say that store bought potatoes dont grow, but they've always grown for me!

aspen12
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I have to chuckle. I found a *science experiment* the other day in the back of my refrigerator.

I hope the planting works. Let us know what happens. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Us too, ours were from Kroger. They were just regular old Idaho potatoes. lol! The sweet potatoes we grew were organic, and boy, they took off! Much better than any I have bought at a store. Yum!

Quoting oredeb:

yes grow in a trash can, also when you cut the eye let them dry for a day and then plant! they say that store bought potatoes dont grow, but they've always grown for me!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wanderingwolf
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

No clue.  Maybe depending on their ages talk about the potato famine that hit Ireland that caused millions of Irish to die and immigrate to USA.  I hate those white stuff that comes out of the potatoes after a while.  Drives me nuts. I learned that there's blue potaotes sometime last year  which I think is odd and kind of interesting.  Maybe you could do a lesson on why potatoes get the white spots and stuff growing out of them? 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

LOL been there, done that!

Talk about how potatoes grow more potatoes without seeds.

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

hahahahahahaha

Quoting aspen12:ha

I have to chuckle. I found a *science experiment* the other day in the back of my refrigerator.

I hope the planting works. Let us know what happens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN