Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OMG They are sooo behind

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 19 Replies

I recently pulled my kids out of public school because the schools refused to do anything about my children being attacked.

I got supplies and such for their grades but saw how they were struggling. So I gave them a placment test.

My 11 year old has a first grade math level and my 12 year old has about a 3rd grade math level. Both are about 4th grade in language arts.

How the heck did this happen? They both were in special ed. They didn't bring work home because I was assured that it was being done during their support hours.

How could something like this happen? I know it's my fault but I was assured by the professionals that I needed to butt out of things because of my lack of education.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sourflower
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I am so sorry momma. :( *hugs* Some public schools are like that. What kind of homeschooling are you going to be doing with them? Have you found a curriculum that you like?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

"They both were in special ed. They didn't bring work home because I was assured that it was being done during their support hours."

This is exactly how it happened. My nephew was in speial ed and they never challenged them becuse even in the smaller classes, they couldn't devote the one-on-one time required to get the students up to grade level. If the student's "did their best" on the modified work, they gomta modified grade and were passed to the next grade without meeting the standard.

I applaud you for taking the initiative to bring them home and get them the help and support they need. It will work wonders for them. 

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Right now I'm not so worried what level they are as long as the really get the information. I went and bought a curriculum for the grade level they are at.

In my state they have to be tested at the schools so either way no matter what I do they it will improve their test scores.

We have set subjects that we do each day. They are autistic and love knowing what is going to happen but the lesson plans are rather loose. There are goals to meet but because my boys are my boy with their own personalities I need to be flexible. Like math will be in the park sometimes or we will take a day trip to Stillwater.

Quoting sourflower:

I am so sorry momma. :( *hugs* Some public schools are like that. What kind of homeschooling are you going to be doing with them? Have you found a curriculum that you like?

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this

fantastic lynn you took them out!! now you can get down to some good ole fun!

the levels will pick up as you go along, so dont worry bout it , they will be ok,

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I'm not too worried about because they are bright kids and have caught on quickly to new material. I just was really surprised that they were so far behind.

Quoting oredeb:

the levels will pick up as you go along, so dont worry bout it , they will be ok,

aspen12
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Quoting oredeb:

good

So happy for all of you! Relax and enjoy yourselves. In no time at all they will catch-up to where they each should be, which may not be up to their grade level, but the level right for them. Happy homeschooling!

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I really don't think that public school was a good fit for them. Since they've been home both boys aren't as tense and lessons each day are getting easier. This may be stupid but we do Mad Libs (either as an end to the English lessons or as an reward) and the parts of speech were stuck by the third one.

Quoting aspen12:

Quoting oredeb:

good

So happy for all of you! Relax and enjoy yourselves. In no time at all they will catch-up to where they each should be, which may not be up to their grade level, but the level right for them. Happy homeschooling!

aspen12
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Quoting LynnGrey:

This may be stupid but we do Mad Libs (either as an end to the English lessons or as an reward) and the parts of speech were stuck by the third one. 

We love Mad Libs! 

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Best motivator ever.

Quoting aspen12:

Quoting LynnGrey:

This may be stupid but we do Mad Libs (either as an end to the English lessons or as an reward) and the parts of speech were stuck by the third one. 

We love Mad Libs! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I'm so sorry hon! Sadly, i think many PS just shrugs and moves on rather than working with a special needs child. My oldest has Aspergers. But there is hope. You can go through 2 grades per uear in HS, so they will be caught up in no time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)