Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OMG They are sooo behind

Posted by   + Show Post

I recently pulled my kids out of public school because the schools refused to do anything about my children being attacked.

I got supplies and such for their grades but saw how they were struggling. So I gave them a placment test.

My 11 year old has a first grade math level and my 12 year old has about a 3rd grade math level. Both are about 4th grade in language arts.

How the heck did this happen? They both were in special ed. They didn't bring work home because I was assured that it was being done during their support hours.

How could something like this happen? I know it's my fault but I was assured by the professionals that I needed to butt out of things because of my lack of education.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (11-19):
JennyH66
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
This is NOT your fault. You were given bad advice by the people who should have encouraged you to be involved. No one ever has the right to tell you to butt out when it involves your children. Its good that you pulled them out. Hugs to you and to them.
LynnGrey
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

That makes me feel marginally better. In another group I was told what a waste of oxygen, kids are better off with dogs, and I should just off myself.

Right now I would just like them to be solid on what they do.

Quoting JennyH66:

This is NOT your fault. You were given bad advice by the people who should have encouraged you to be involved. No one ever has the right to tell you to butt out when it involves your children. Its good that you pulled them out. Hugs to you and to them.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM
It makes me mad that these schools do this. It's not okay, and the just push the kids through so they continue to get their money. I'm glad you took them out, I just know it will be the best thing for them. You'll be amazed how quickly you will have them back on track. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyH66
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Quoting LynnGrey:

Trolls gotta troll. You're a good mom. :-)
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

!!!! Do what? Were they upset that you were homeschooling? Ignore the haters. 8(

Quoting LynnGrey:

That makes me feel marginally better. In another group I was told what a waste of oxygen, kids are better off with dogs, and I should just off myself.

Quoting JennyH66:

LynnGrey
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

No just upset that I let it go as long as I did. The thing is I was involved. I was told that it was normal for them to be behind. I thought that it would do my oldest some good to repeat a grade. I asked for things to be sent home. We did math races and reading minutes.

One reason why I think that the transition to homeschooling is going so smoothly is because it's just a more intense version of what we were already doing.

Quoting mem82:

!!!! Do what? Were they upset that you were homeschooling? Ignore the haters. 8(

Quoting LynnGrey:

Quoting JennyH66:

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

i bet that would be a shock!!!

Quoting LynnGrey:

I'm not too worried about because they are bright kids and have caught on quickly to new material. I just was really surprised that they were so far behind.

Quoting oredeb:

fantastic lynn you took them out!! now you can get down to some good ole fun!

the levels will pick up as you go along, so dont worry bout it , they will be ok,

success5
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hi sorry to hear about that. Were did you get a placement test?

wright1212
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders!! Also you can register with an umbrella school so they dont have to go back their for 'their' testing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN