Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to decide

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 5 Replies
My husband and I are weighing our options for our daughters education between private school and home school. We live in Delaware and I already looked up the laws on the hslda website and it says you only have to report enrollment and attendance. I looked up on the Delaware department of educations website and they have homeschool registraition forms (that would be reporting enrollment, right?) and they want you to come up with a name for your homeschool for the forms. It also says that enrollment information must be provided each year "on forms that will be provided at appropriate times" seems fairly simple. I'm stumped on what to do though, we are done with public schools and she is only in k! My husband says he doesn't want either of our kids to go to public schools ever again and he's willing to pay whatever it costs to do so. But we just may not be able to afford private school, the one we are looking at has a program to base tuition off of what you can afford, however I'm not sure I even want to fill out the forms to see if we could actually afford it because we could buy all the books needed to homeschool both our daughters for the same as it costs to pay the application fees alone for just one child at this school! lol But at the same time I'm not sure if homeschooling is right for us. My daughter really likes going to school and I don't want her to miss out on anything, but I know there are a lot of things she can do een being homeschooled (ballet, church, girl scouts, etc).
There is a lot to think about, I guess I'm just thinking here, no questions or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
5BMom
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I looked at private schools. In the end, I realized that I woukd still have little control over my childrens education and they still could not keep my kids as safe as I could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I know what your feeling. I was there when my first was born. At this point for you , I would say the only thing you really need to make sure of is, what you are most comfortable with when you think of doing either way of schooling.  I would also like to say that most home schooling families usually feel this way in the beginning. But after a time they have enough confidence and experience under their belt that these feelings start going away. Just go with what suits you and your family best.   

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Maybe try HSing for a year and see how it works for you? Worst case scenario, you go back to trying private school the next year. You'll save some money, too. LOL

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

well what are you most concerned about in public schools? what do you want to avoid in them? why didnt you like them?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM
This was us. Even though it was a private school, and we would have paid a fortune, I didn't feel like they were going to do any better than the public school. I recently found out that I was right. My neighbors kids go to the private school we were going to attend. Her kindergartener knows far less than mine did in kinder, and her second grader is learning much of what we are learning this year in homeschool for first grade. so, my daughter would still be bored, frustrated, and lacking the one on one attention she needs.

Quoting 5BMom:

I looked at private schools. In the end, I realized that I woukd still have little control over my childrens education and they still could not keep my kids as safe as I could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)