Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

American High School and my son

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son was looking around online for criminal justice courses. He stumbled upon American High School, http://www.americanonlinehigh.com/ , and was very impressed. His plan has been to get either a masters in criminal justice or business, he would like to work in law enforcement in someway and be a real estate broker (or one or the other). We have been rather relaxed in our homeschooling, but as he has gotten older I have tried to to teach him that he will need to take on more and more responsibility for his education. That I am here to help him and encourage him. He made several calls to colleges, the police department, real estate offices, and started really planning for his future. He was so excited about American High School and asked to be enrolled. He will be able to take criminal justice electives through high school. He then hopes to get a masters in criminal justice at University of Phoenix or another online college. It's wonderful seeing him grow and mature. I can not believe that my baby is so big though.

Has anyone here used American High School? How about University of Phoenix?

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I don't know much about either, though, I worry online college diplomas won't be worth what a brick and mortar one would be.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I don't know anything about them! I do know that some online schools are not as legitimate as others & you really have to research them to find the good ones! The brick & mortar schools like Kaplan collage can be just as worthless if you attend one that is thought of as a bad school or a joke school!

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

ive heard of amer. school and know of a few people who have used it, worked for them!

KitT.Kat
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Just so you know, there is a correspondence school called American School that has been around for over a hundred years. When I first read your post, I assumed that was the school you were asking about and I think other parents might think the same. It's not the same and the fact that it and several other online "schools" are trying to ride the American School name makes me think it's a scam. It's also about 4x more expensive than the original American School.

As for University of Phoenix, everyone I've known who has used them loves them while they're taking the classes but then hates them when they graduate because they can't get a job. If your son really wants to do college online, look into actual colleges in your State. Many of them offer online courses and then you have a degree from a real college, not a diploma mill.

aspen12
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Thank you so, so much, Ladies! 

KitTKat, do you have a link to the original American School?

I talked to my son about looking into local colleges that would offer online courses. He spent part of the afternoon researching. He has high hopes of one and asked if we could go visit the school. They offer classes on campus, online, and you can choose to do a mix. He would like to find a few colleges so he can ask them what they expect from homeschoolers, so he can prepare for them while in high school.

KitT.Kat
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oh gosh, I thought I included the link. Here it is.

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Ok, I'm not crazy, I'm having a hard time adding it, LOL. You'll have to copy and paste it, sorry.

aspen12
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Quoting KitT.Kat:

Oh gosh, I thought I included the link. Here it is.

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Ok, I'm not crazy, I'm having a hard time adding it, LOL. You'll have to copy and paste it, sorry.

Thank you!

carolkey74
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I'm not familiar with American High School, but I finished my bachelors degree online. I was a little concerned with the credibility of the online format, so I called a local "brick and mortar" school, and the advisor told me that the school I chose had a very good reputation, and the degree would have the same weight as any others. I am currently in grad school, and had no problems with admission. I think online schools are the future. MIT, Yale, and other colleges post entire courses online for free now. Making a blanket statement about the validity of online colleges is the same as being told that homeschooled diplomas aren't as good as public school diplomas. I found my online courses to be much more challenging than traditional classes. I would recommend online college (from a reputable institution) to anyone.

Quoting mem82:

I don't know much about either, though, I worry online college diplomas won't be worth what a brick and mortar one would be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aspen12
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting carolkey74:

I'm not familiar with American High School, but I finished my bachelors degree online. I was a little concerned with the credibility of the online format, so I called a local "brick and mortar" school, and the advisor told me that the school I chose had a very good reputation, and the degree would have the same weight as any others. I am currently in grad school, and had no problems with admission. I think online schools are the future. MIT, Yale, and other colleges post entire courses online for free now. Making a blanket statement about the validity of online colleges is the same as being told that homeschooled diplomas aren't as good as public school diplomas. I found my online courses to be much more challenging than traditional classes. I would recommend online college (from a reputable institution) to anyone.

Quoting mem82:

Thank you so much!

There are so many adults that are working full-time and furthering their degrees using online colleges, I can not see it being an issue. Some companies even pay for their employees to further their education, some using an online college. So these companies feel it is okay.

My son called back a few of the local police stations and real estate offices and asked their opinions. No one felt online college would be an issue and several of them said they, or others working for the companies, have used online colleges.

I feel more at ease with it. My son would rather schedule his time for what works best for him, then having some school schedule his classes for him. He would like to volunteer and begin working part-time as he is going to school.

I think this will be most likely chalked up to just another needless worry, just like so many others when we first started homeschooling. 

I was also thinking more about the statement in the night and thought that we are all homeschooling. If it was true that we felt brick and mortar colleges would be excepted more, then we would have to say brick and mortar schools period would be more excepted. If we feel homeschooling is good from k through 12th grade, then why not for the next two, four, six, or so years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)