Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling: the new Class of Learning

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
BJ
  • 4 Replies

There is a video in the link the information below is the description for the video

http://www.euronews.com/2012/03/14/unschooling-the-new-class-of-learning/#.T2nbpnjYZWY.facebook

Many parents are taking their children out of the formal school system in favour of a freer way of learning.

It is not home schooling, where the standard curriculum is taught by parents or tutors. They call it unschooling, where youngsters are encouraged to explore the things they want to learn about or for which they have a specific talent.

In Berlin, we meet a young American who turned his back on school by the time he was 11-years-old. Dale J. Stevens is writing a book that he describes as “a practical guide to learning the skills that school doesn‘t teach but are requisite for success in the real world”. It is based on his experiences as an unschooler but also incorporates the stories of other people who found success in non-traditional ways.

In Paris, we meet the Stern family. André Stern is a well-known name in the world of music but he never went to school. He was raised in a household where passion is considered to be the perfect learning medium and the secret behind competence.

In New York state, the Emerson family are also embracing unschooling. They shun a formal curriculum in favour of encouraging their 12- and 9-year-old children to follow their passions and interests.

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM
There are definitely times when I feel compelled to unschool, and definitely may in the future. At this point, weare really enjoying the way we are learning, so haven't felt the need to change. I think it's more that some subjects are done more unschool-like than others with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel it is inspiring to see positive pieces like this for unschooling & homeschooling!

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

hahah i guess my husband was unschooled! he never went to school after 3rd grade and he followed his own lead!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I now know that I was & am an unschooler as is my hubby!

Quoting oredeb:

hahah i guess my husband was unschooled! he never went to school after 3rd grade and he followed his own lead!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)