Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am new to this group... And have 4 boys!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
My name is Stacy and I have 4 boys, 2 of which are in school(public at the Moment) they are 7yrs, 6yrs, 4yrs and 4 months old. I am looking into homeschooling due to my boys being bullied at school. I do not want that for them. I have information coming from K12 and would like to know what programs you moms use for your children, as in what you recommend and a little help with socializing them as well. My DH is fully against it b/c he thinks our kids will be "socially retarded"(his words) and he does not have any faith that I can teach our children. Thanks for any help in advance and thanks for reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I homeschool 3 boys and let me tell you out works so much better for them. They are not stuck at a desk for hours a day and they can learn more hands on. As far a socialization goes I think they get more not in school. They are meeting so many more people instead of the same group of kids the same age year after year. They socialize with different age groups and different backgrounds. I get most of my school work for them of line for free. There are tons of web sites. I also check the good will stores. I haven't paid more then $5 for a text book yet. We do a lot of spur of the moment stuff. Waiting in line at the grocery store I will ask them math questions or something like that. I didn't know for sure if I could teach our boys when we started, but what I didn't know I have learned with them. Good luck and sorry so long a post. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aspen12
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:07 AM

We have used mainly WinterPromise, Sonlight, Teaching Textbooks, Critical Thinking books, lots and lots of great literature, ...

I do not have time to preach my thoughts on socialization, I think if I got started (and most homeschoolers) I could write pages. I can not understand how anyone feels that brick and mortar schools' socialization is normal, or even that they get to have much socialization. During class time teachers are asking students to stop talking. Is it normal that people will talk with only a group of people their own age, people that they did not get to choose, many that do not have anything in common with you? I do not think that is normal. What adult leads their life only talking to people their age? I have to interact daily with people from newborns through the elderly. Have you noticed that brick and mortar schools seem to produce a lot of children that do not even know how, or want to, talk to adults or younger children. Is bullying good socialization? As I said I could go on and on, but will stop here. Socialization is a hot topic for me, and I am sure for other homeschoolers as well. I hear it way too often, the implication that brick and mortar is some how normal socialization and homeschooled children are unsocialized and isolated. Trust me, it is brick and mortar students that are very isolated.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM
First If DH trusts you to raise your children then he should trust you in this.

I've Written some articles that might be of help to you..
http://voices.yahoo.com/homeschooling-isnt-as-scary-as-may-seem-618804.html?cat=25
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-home-education-debate-731135.html?cat=4
http://voices.yahoo.com/home-educators-top-10-checklist-1037345.html?cat=4
http://voices.yahoo.com/essential-tools-homeschoolers-1533819.html?cat=25

Welcome again,
Shannon
oredeb
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

welcome stacy!!!

we dont use an online program, but various school books and unit studies here, i teach 3 boys and 2 girls

for the socializing, we did little league, karate, gymnastics, skating, join a homeschool group, cooping

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

You covered a lot of ground there, but important ones.

• As for socialization: Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue, and one of the reasons they give is socialization:  Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are. 
  • Most home school groups register with their State Home School Association so home school families can connect with others near them. The groups provide teaching co-ops, group play days, ceremonies and holidays events, support an more. State Home School Associations 

Moma3 boyz gave you some excellent advice.  You see, home school is not the classroom. This article will answer many of your other concerns How To Home School

Sdunafon4
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Thanks ladies! I appreciate all the input! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN