Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handwriting skills

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was wondering every one's opinions on handwriting; what age do you think is good to start cursive? Is first grade too soon?

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sweetcappuccino
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
First grade is to soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dakee
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I'd say third grade or so to give them time to master printing.  They need to form the habit of forming the letters properly by using them daily before moving onto cursive I think.

wright1212
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM

no, my DD 1st grade begged me to start learning. I got a dry erase notebook on cursive, abc boarder for the wall, and an app. She loves writing 'curly'.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM
My daughter is first grade and has really good handwriting. We have been debating on going to cursive for second grade because she really is showing an interest in it. Most start in third or fourth grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

as a matter of fact 1st grade is good time to start, some kids learn cursive first then printing! we did that and it worked great! my son really took off on it!

heres a good article about it  http://www.suzukischool.com/Preschool-education-blog/bid/33433/Cursive-vs-Manuscript-Why-Learning-Cursive-First-Benefits-Early-Readers-and-Writers-by-Zoe-Ammatuna

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)