Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling.... now???

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:56 AM
  • 16 Replies

I know we are just going into the last nine weeks of the school year.  But the concept is that we are pulling my oldest out now, and finishing off the school year homeschooling him.  The school called me once again, he is suspended until Tuesday?  This teacher knew he was a difficult child, he has three teachers and the only one that has trouble with him is the female teacher.  Every Time, he disrupts or starts having an issue, she automatically sends him to the office, instead of working with him.  Well even the office doesn't want to deal with him.  This is the first school that I have ever had issues with.  So we decided to finish off the school year at home with us.  I am a little nervous, because I am not ready.  I have been building stuff for next year not this year.  How do you finish off the year with only nine weeks, 

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aspen12
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM
7 moms liked this

You do not need to *finish off* the school year. I would enjoy some down time with him. Play board games, bake, enjoy the outdoors, read-aloud some great literature, put together a mini nature notebook, ... You both will need time to make the adjustments to him being home. You will want to start this new part of your lives in a positive light. Pushing school*ish* things right away could bring negative feelings to both him and you. He is going to do so much better at home. Relax and enjoy this new adventure.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I agree!

Quoting aspen12:

You do not need to *finish off* the school year. I would enjoy some down time with him. Play board games, bake, enjoy the outdoors, read-aloud some great literature, put together a mini nature notebook, ... You both will need time to make the adjustments to him being home. You will want to start this new part of your lives in a positive light. Pushing school*ish* things right away could bring negative feelings to both him and you. He is going to do so much better at home. Relax and enjoy this new adventure.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

VioletPlacebo
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

With only nine weeks left I wouldn't worry about anything unless he's in a state standardized testing year, in which case you should probably contact your local board of education to see what you need to do.

5BMom
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I agree. Unless he has testing at the end of this year, just keep it loose and fun. If you feel the need to do something a bit structured, you can do some unit studies. How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

well you could deschool him for a bit, dont worry bout school work, just  read together or let him read alone, play games, get to know how he learns, your bringin him home your in charge now! you do what you want!!

just like aspen wrote above!

SpiritedDragon
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

He is 11yr old. 

Quoting 5BMom:

I agree. Unless he has testing at the end of this year, just keep it loose and fun. If you feel the need to do something a bit structured, you can do some unit studies. How old is he?

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I would deschool from now until next year & then start homeschooling! The rule for deschooling is 1 month for every year in the schools.

Blessedby3girls
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the "rule" on deschooling. We started in the middle of the year, only slightly prepared. And have discovered we need family time (became a forever family in August). We incorporate learning opportunities with all of our activities.

As for me? Deschooling is a good thing. It gives me the ability to search and develop curriculum as I see fits for the girls. Right now, we are spending more time on getting to know each other and relaxing with academics. We will be starting The Prairie Primer in a week or so....this will be fun and relaxed as well.

SpiritedDragon
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Okay, I keep hearing about the forever family.  What is this meaning?  

Quoting Blessedby3girls:

Thanks for the "rule" on deschooling. We started in the middle of the year, only slightly prepared. And have discovered we need family time (became a forever family in August). We incorporate learning opportunities with all of our activities.

As for me? Deschooling is a good thing. It gives me the ability to search and develop curriculum as I see fits for the girls. Right now, we are spending more time on getting to know each other and relaxing with academics. We will be starting The Prairie Primer in a week or so....this will be fun and relaxed as well.

Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I'd spend the next 9 weeks "de-schooling" him. All of you need time to get out of the school mindset so you can start fresh next year. Do lots of field trips and fun things together.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN