Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know we are just going into the last nine weeks of the school year.  But the concept is that we are pulling my oldest out now, and finishing off the school year homeschooling him.  The school called me once again, he is suspended until Tuesday?  This teacher knew he was a difficult child, he has three teachers and the only one that has trouble with him is the female teacher.  Every Time, he disrupts or starts having an issue, she automatically sends him to the office, instead of working with him.  Well even the office doesn't want to deal with him.  This is the first school that I have ever had issues with.  So we decided to finish off the school year at home with us.  I am a little nervous, because I am not ready.  I have been building stuff for next year not this year.  How do you finish off the year with only nine weeks, 

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Replies (11-16):
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I would deschool from now until next year & then start homeschooling! The rule for deschooling is 1 month for every year in the schools.

I sure wish I would have done this instead of jumping right into homeschooling. I was so firmly entrenched into the "school mindset" that it took a couple of years to get out of it, and realize that I didn't have to recreate school at home.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I would do what others have said and also work out whatever behavioral issues he may have. Make sure he minds you the first time asked without whining or complaining. You will need that respect from him next year when you start academic work again.

Blessedby3girls
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hi SpiritedDragon,

It is in regards to adoption. Kids who are waiting to be adopted, especially those in the foster care system, are waiting to become part of a family, forever. Foster care families are temporary.

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Okay, I keep hearing about the forever family.  What is this meaning?  

Quoting Blessedby3girls:

Thanks for the "rule" on deschooling. We started in the middle of the year, only slightly prepared. And have discovered we need family time (became a forever family in August). We incorporate learning opportunities with all of our activities.

As for me? Deschooling is a good thing. It gives me the ability to search and develop curriculum as I see fits for the girls. Right now, we are spending more time on getting to know each other and relaxing with academics. We will be starting The Prairie Primer in a week or so....this will be fun and relaxed as well.

Blessedby3girls
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM

OK, I thought I had replied previously...sorry about that.

A Forever Family is a term used in the adoption of kids in the foster care system. In foster care they are living with a family, however it's temporary. Therefore, the term Forever Family is used to refer to an adoptive family.

SpiritedDragon
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Thank you, I googled it too!  lol  

Quoting Blessedby3girls:

OK, I thought I had replied previously...sorry about that.

A Forever Family is a term used in the adoption of kids in the foster care system. In foster care they are living with a family, however it's temporary. Therefore, the term Forever Family is used to refer to an adoptive family.

littleacorn
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM
This

Quoting aspen12:

You do not need to *finish off* the school year. I would enjoy some down time with him. Play board games, bake, enjoy the outdoors, read-aloud some great literature, put together a mini nature notebook, ... You both will need time to make the adjustments to him being home. You will want to start this new part of your lives in a positive light. Pushing school*ish* things right away could bring negative feelings to both him and you. He is going to do so much better at home. Relax and enjoy this new adventure.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)