Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Will your kids be watching Disney Jr.?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:07 AM
  • 24 Replies

Disney Junior Channel for Toddlers Launches -- The New Perfect Babysitter

Posted by Adriana Velez on March 22, 2012 

disney jrHeads up, Disney-loving parents of toddlers and preschoolers. Looking for something else to watch while the Suite Life of Zack & Cody is on? There's a new kid on the block waiting to play: The Disney Junior channel. It's the Disney Channel for the toddler and preschool set (ages 2-7), kind of like Disney's "Nick Jr."

They're moving some of their little-kid shows, like Higglytown Heroes, over, and they're introducing some new shows, like Doc McStuffins. It's a show about a little girl doctor who rescues sick stuffed animals. Just like I used to do! But where are the traditional Disney characters?

It looks like they'll still be there, too. They have the Mickey Mouse Club, plus The Magical World of Disney looks like it gives kids re-runs from scenes of their favorite Disney movies.

And it's on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! I know, to non-parents, that sounds horrible. WHY would you want your child watching television at 3 a.m.? And to that I say, you've never had a jet-lagged 3-year-old recovering from a trip overseas, apparently. I could go on and on. There are dozens of emergency moments when some children's programming at an odd hour can really come in handy. No, you don't want your kid watching Little Einsteins every night at 10 p.m. But there's going to be that one slumber party with the cousins, that time when they're up with a tummy ache ... know what I mean? I think the 24-hour programming is super.

Will your kids be watching Disney Jr.?

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aspen12
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM

No. My son and I do not watch much tv. We have a few shows that we DVR. Besides he would be too old for this channel. My daycare children are at the right age, but I do not use the tv with them

victoriaherring
by Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 7:05 AM

My daughter doesn't watch much tv either.. I DVR Sesame Street for her and she will watch that but thats about it.. If she still wants to watch we will put it on PBS or we watch Veggietales together, but usually she is too busy doing other stuff she doesn't even care about the tv.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's nice they are offering something more child friendly, as a lot of the shows on Disney are pretty inappropriate. But we don't really watch tv, and we do not have cable at all, so we will not be watching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM
As a rule, I boycott most things Disney, including their animation... I do Tivo off Sprout and Nick Jr so that the kids have options during their TV, which is the hour or so before dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

We will! If, that is, it comes on my regular cable package. We will watch it ONDemand, too.

oredeb
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

nope! hahaha i cant imagine them watching it!

mynameismuerte
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Our provider doesn't carry it but we've requested it from them.  My kids LOVE Disney Jr.  My 6 year old's favorite is Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  He watches that most mornings and he knows we get started on school work when it's over.

hlbhembree
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
5 moms liked this

Yes, my kids will be watching it because I prefer for them to have their TV time late in the day while I am preping dinner.  I also love that they will have age appropriate entertainment for days where they are too sick to be up and active.

-Heather

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Nope we have Netflix and Hulu plus:)
if we had it I would let them watch a little of it if they earned it:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If we get the channel yes I will let them watch it. In moderation but they can watch it .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN